My New Weapon

woodch0p

Just thought I'd gloat a bit..

Been searching for a while for a new rod to compliment my avet bmx. Currently I have been running it on a ugly stick bluewater pe5, which is a powerful rod but a bit like a broomstick for my reel. Been eyeing off jigging master rods for a while now but tough to source in oz. Finally came across one in a tackle store yesterday and was too good to refuse. So I'm now the proud new owner of a powerspell 200g. Put my reel on it and pumped out 8kg of drag over the new beast, and I must admit it is quite scary how much they bend. Can't wait to take it to NZ and tame a king or two.

Photos will be put up later tonight.

there are quite a few places that stock the JM gear now

dont get carried away and do alot of dry lifting with the rod

its how alot of them turn into 2 peice rods :)

what did you pay for it

max drag for that rod is around 16.8kgs

Paid a tad over 500 for it, probably could have shopped around more and got a better price but had the spare cash and have been wanting one for a while. Is 16.8kgs the amount of drag that can be put through the rod or its dead lift, or are they the same? At 8kgs the line just touched the blank between the first and second guides, would hate to see even 12kgs on it.

$500 is a tad high but not too bad

16.9kgs is the max drag recommended by Jigging Master

dry lighting is when you attach the line to a weight on your floor then try to lift it using the rod

unless done correctly puts alot of unnatural force into the blank and you can snap the rod

the 200 is a great little rod im thinking of getting the three kings special 200gm for a trip to NZ next month

enjoy the new rod

Edited by Framedtrash

$500 is a tad high but not too bad

16.9kgs is the max drag recommended by Jigging Master

dry lighting is when you attach the line to a weight on your floor then try to lift it using the rod

unless done correctly puts alot of unnatural force into the blank and you can snap the rod

the 200 is a great little rod im thinking of getting the three kings special 200gm for a trip to NZ next month

enjoy the new rod

In the test photos they show the rod dead lifting 16.8kgs so thought that was different to drag settings. The reel is doing 8kgs flat off the reel so wouldn't that change the final pull kg at the end of the rod seeing as the rod is acting as a fulcrum?

When testing it I put the line around the tow bar of my car, walk back around 20m, and slowly lift back until the drag starts slipping. At 8kgs the rod was pretty much bent over itself, I think at 16kgs it would be buckled. I can crank the reel to 10kgs but I'm running 50lb so 8kg is amples...and 16kgs of drag stand up would be painful, and I'm a small bloke so the fish would probably win!

Thanks for the feedback.

nice combo, ive found these (max drag capabilities) a bit confusing too, eg saltiga hiramasa 63s states a max drag of 14kg but ive found it to be about 7kg off the reel, well thats as far as im willing to push it anyway, really dont think it could take much more let alone double.

looks good :)

how is that reel to jig with looks pretty wide does it wobble ?

when are you going to break her in

Doesn't seem to wobble, hopefully going to give it a test soon, just as soon as I get the mates organised as they are hopeless. If worst comes to worst ill have to wait to nz next year :(

Doesn't seem to wobble, hopefully going to give it a test soon, just as soon as I get the mates organised as they are hopeless. If worst comes to worst ill have to wait to nz next year :(

im in cairns next week for a week fishing

when i get back i can get some thing arranged if you want to get out there

i need to get some training in for NZ in oct :)

Edited by Framedtrash

im in cairns next week for a week fishing

when i get back i can get some thing arranged if you want to get out there

i need to get some training in for NZ in oct :)

Would be fantastic to head out and give it a tester, haven't tried the new handle either so it would be great to put it through its paces. Send me a pm on your return.

Daniel

will do

have u ever jigged with the reel before ?

how much line did you put on it

looks a little full you might run into issues when your jigging as the line is going to bunch up and get caught

unless you manually lay the line while you jig which can be a pain if you jig nice and fast

will do

have u ever jigged with the reel before ?

how much line did you put on it

looks a little full you might run into issues when your jigging as the line is going to bunch up and get caught

unless you manually lay the line while you jig which can be a pain if you jig nice and fast

Hey haven't jigged with this reel before, but my thumb is pretty well trained to lay the line, I actually need to respool the reel with 50lb braid, I get between 350-400m on it from last memory. What braid do you run for jigging on your setups? That reminds me I need a new set of gloves to save the thumb!

i use dawai saltiga boat braid and YGK Galis Ultra Jig Man X8

the YGK is more expensive but the boat braid is just as good if not better

might have trouble find the boat braid in oz but can import it from the states and its really cheap

you really dont want to be laying line as you jig as its going to slow you down

best to not fully spool the reel so it allows some extra room for the line if it starts to bunch up

HI Framedtrash and Woodchop,

If you guys are organising a weekend jig trip on a charter I will put my hands up to tag along if you have a coupel of spare spots. Getting a new rod which should arrive soon to put a bend into as well.

Cheers,

SZ1

HI Framedtrash,

I am picking up a Hots Fake Lez 63h to pair with my STLSW8000PG running PE4 Boat Braid. The rod is rated to PE4-8 but that is an exaggerated rating it is more like P3-6(max) I opted for a longer rod so I work 200-250gram center weighted jigs as the longer rods tend to work the jig better because you get more of a flick on the up stroke and allows to really slow down your jigging action, which I will appreciate as here out of Sydney the bites are not always fast action and if you go hard from the start you will run out puff when the fish comes on the bite.