Gear Shift Linkage

Fester

Hi, Im trying to do my water pump on my 140 evinrude 1987, all good except cant figure out how to disconnect gear linkage, have the book here in front of me, removed pin under power head like it shows, but no joy! :1badmood: any one able to help? and before everyuone says take it to Huett, he is too far away from me, thanks,Mathew.

I stand to be corrected but I think on those you pop the shift cable off the shift arm on the side of the powerhead and push the arm in and twist clockwise slightly to unlatch the pin from the gearcase shift rod. Hard to explain without a picture I guess.

C.

hi this model 1987 120'140 hp does have the connector pin under the carbies ;also 1xlarge bolt 5x smaller bolts one is hidden behind the trim tab so remove the connector screw ;trim tab 5x smallbolts 1x large bolt and it should come down . hope this helps ray p.s model number should be j or e 140tlcua or extra long j or e140txcua good luck ray

Hi, as the guys have said if you have removed the shift shaft screw from under the carbies and the bolts you can see holding the gearcase on, my bet is you have missed the bolt under the trim tab. If you have that one then how long since the g/box has been off because it could be seized in the crankshaft. Not a common problem with OMC engines, but then again we have had engines come in here with gearboxes that have never been off in over 15 years.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thankyou very much fellas, found the bolt under the carbies, the book shows a pin near throttle and gear cables :wacko: so had another search after work, gearbox off and in vice, water pump off, ready to clean up and fit new pump tomoz! :thumbup: