Need Help On Long Reef

paul1616

hi guys im after a bit of help im looking at going fishing at long reef for the first time i was thinking about utiing my boat in at long reef boat ramp iv herd u can get good snapper there and kings there but wheres a good plase to go how far out iv been told about long reef wall is it werth a try there any help would be great thanks heap paul

Hi there Paul,

Long Reef ramp is a ocean ramp and should only be used by those with experience at that location. It is subject to winds and swell pretty much at all times. I've seen guys bogged, cars in the water and boats sitting on the concrete ramp with the swell smashing them. Generally boats are launched and retrieved off the eastern side of the ramp rather than on the ramp proper. This is over sand and thus you will need a suitable vehicle capable of pulling your trailer and boat off the sand and back onto the ramp. The better and safer option is the ramp at Manly ( very restricted parking ) or Roseville. Its a great spot to fish but can be very dangerous in swell due to the nature of the bottom and various bommies. Best to pick a nice day and check out where the other boats are fishing. Good Luck.

Paul

On Strike

Manly ramp is at Little manly Cove off Stuart Street. Its marked in the Street directory. Can be a bit of a bugger to use in a southerly but you probably wouldn't be fishing then anyway. As for distance to Long Reef I'm not sure exactly, maybe ten k's, but The ramp is just inside North Head so it takes about 20 min to get there but with the added bonus of passing a number of good spots on the way like North Head, Manly bommies, the wave rider and then Long Reef. The time spent travelling from this better ramp is worth the effort as you will probably spend that amount of time trying to get your boat out at Longy if you don't know what your doing. Hope this helps.

On Strike.