Gems Today

finin

Gday all, awesome morning on the harbour, once again no boats inside fishing? Off to the mountain today for some blue eye. Out through the heads 16.3deg water still green. This massive cold water eddy off the coast is producing some interesting currents. It started running se-nw as we headed out loosing a knot, by the 12 mile temp had increased to 18.3

As we approached the mountain i counted 30 boats, by the time we hit the mountain we were greeted by 19.5deg water and starting to blue up a bit, saw a sunfish cruising along and the first drop pruduced the biggest gem of the day at 5kg. All up pulled in 7 gems, sharked twice, beautiful arvo wind dropped then the NE blew in and completely bewildered as to why a person would go to Browns in a tinny or actually in half the boats i saw out there?

You just made me remember a day we were out there and a 4meter tinny showed up with 3 gentlemen on board all dressed in suits and started to hand line fish. What we could see in the boat was that it had no life jackets or bailing bucket only a small anchor on about 10m of nylon rope. After they dropped their lines over they proceeded to open a brief case they had and we were hanging over the side to see what they had in it. It was full of sandwiches. There's no place on the water for dopes like this that put themselves in danger then expect you to get them out of it by putting your life at risk. I've seen bigger sharks cruising the surface out there.

Regards Jeff

Yeah it was a good day out there, and the fish have fed a few families so alls good on the favour scene :biggrin2:.

Kingfishaholic, m8 i would happily take you to Browns and let you paddle round in your canoe with 2 x 24's somehow mounted. It would be an absolute crack up if you hooked up! I myself have done some stupid things in tinnies but of course young and dumb and full of bravado, i look back now and wonder.

In regards to appropriate size for offshore that is a huge question, safety, you and your crews ability and experience, type of boat and its construction, sea state, unforseen circumstances all have to be taken in. Actually this should be another post i would really like other peoples opinions and thoughts, not just mine. I really think it is an important topic to cover and with the experience on this site im sure it will actually be invaluable to those thinking of going offshore. I actually might learn something new!

Day's Fishin :074::074::074:

Edited by finin

Hi Finn ,

I had not been to browns in over a year and was one of the guys in a tinnie 5.6 metre centre console , the weather was that good i would have taken a 14 foot tinnie out there . It was rather funny as i got to browns and had to recheck my gps as i was the first boat there . It all comes down to being confident in the boat you own and experience at sea and knowing how to drive to conditions and most importantly fishing wide when the weather reports let you. Anyway we had a similar day with 4 gemfish biggest 6kg , 1 perch and 1 blueye 15.5kg :yahoo: . And if you had a boat come up and ask you how you were going and gave you gemfish that was me , but deepwater fish do not release so it was better to give them away than throw them away dead . Stopped fishing the bottom by 10 as i was just killing gemfish...

post-692-040574500 1284382297_thumb.jpg

post-692-089279800 1284382318_thumb.jpg

post-692-000033000 1284382338_thumb.jpg

cheers Dogtooth..... :1fishing1: John...... :beersmile:

Edited by dogtooth

Well done on the fishing guys.......

And about the comments regarding what should be the size of your boat guys when it comes to deep sea fishing its not the size of the boat that matters it the size of the knowledge and expirence of the skipper and the crew !!! :1prop: