Squid

erroll

Howdy Raiders,

Went out for a quick evening session yesterday before the all the light was gone. Tried a few of the closer reefs for kings but no takers. Came back into the harbour to try a few spots for squid and ended up with 4 arrows and a big calamari, the hood went 45 and felt like a horse on my 2-4kg stick. I had my doubts I was going to be able ot land him. Outstretched, he was longer than my bait tank. Calamari for dinner, yummo!! Caught another squid at the boat ramp too at the end of the night too. Hopefully I can trade them in for a kingie next trip.

I have installed some squid lights on the transom of my boat. They seem to keep the bait fish entertained and I caught one small arrow in the light but not conclusive as to whether they actually attract squid. Jury is still out. They look very cool though!

Cheers

erroll

post-7148-002703500 1284285310_thumb.jpg

Edited by erroll

Good work on the squid! I love salt and pepper squid my favourite, but the problem is they are the kingies favourite meal too! Im always torn between keeping them to eat or using them as bait.

We have tried the squid lights off a wharf. You're right they keep the yackas around but not to sure about the squid. Then again if the bait fish are around the squid wont be to far behind.

Hope you get that kingie soon!

Mushtaka

Howdy Raiders,

Went out for a quick evening session yesterday before the all the light was gone. Tried a few of the closer reefs for kings but no takers. Came back into the harbour to try a few spots for squid and ended up with 4 arrows and a big calamari, the hood went 45 and felt like a horse on my 2-4kg stick. I had my doubts I was going to be able ot land him. Outstretched, he was longer than my bait tank. Calamari for dinner, yummo!! Caught another squid at the boat ramp too at the end of the night too. Hopefully I can trade them in for a kingie next trip.

I have installed some squid lights on the transom of my boat. They seem to keep the bait fish entertained and I caught one small arrow in the light but not conclusive as to whether they actually attract squid. Jury is still out. They look very cool though!

Cheers

erroll

Edited by mushtaka

G'day Erroll,

Can I ask about the lights - are they the aqualuma style lights that sit below the waterline and are fixed ?

How much did they cost ?

I've been looking at submersible lights for a while and gave up as they are too expensive to justify....

if the lights don't get the quid excited, the baitfish milling around the lights certainly will.

Just throw a jig further back where the light penetration starts to fade out and the bigger models will hit it.....

Tony