Offshore Boat Size

finin

After commenting in a recent post about seeing a tinny at browns, someone then asked "What size boat do you reckon you need?", I thought this might make a good post and since there is a wealth of experience out there, hopefully a few will contribute and offer their thoughts. Thinking for a day or two and really it boils down to, what you are comfortable with. If you are totally sure and competent in your boat then go. If you have planned for everything in advance then go. If you are worried about something or unsure then dont. Safety is paramount and no fish is worth a life no matter how big.

So heres what i was looking for in a trailerboat:

7M in length and a good beam(width)2.5m plus

Fuel Capacity 320L

Good horse in the engine. speed to get home if needed

Good bilge system

Stability

Ride in seas, handling, roll periods

Amount of freeboard or height of gunnels or sides of boat above waterline

Electriacal equipment radios etc

Safety gear and storage

Structure and composition of craft

Preperation wise:

Weather

check battery strength, oil, fuel and run engine at home look for problems.

go over safety gear, flares, pfd's, fire gear etc.

Radio check

Spare Charts to get home if gps or whatever goes

Spare parts for breakdowns we carry hoses, filters, belts, impellers

Ropes.

The crew, can you all swim? and not a joke! Can anyone else do something other than fish if something goes wrong? mechanically, electrically, medically. Does someone know how to navigate.

Are you experienced enough to be out there. Please remember you as the master, skipper whatever YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for everything that happens on your boat!

Hope this is a start ive left heaps out slow typer lol Please add more or ask a question

You've covered it fairly well. Only thing I would add is if one of your crew tries to get on board with a esky full of lunatic soup then tell him to wait on the wharf for you to come back and enjoy his drink while you and your mates enjoy the fishing. Too many people get into trouble by not only themselves drinking at sea but trying to help others in trouble because they over did it. NO I'M NOT A TEETOTALLER far from it.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Carrying water for people. 2 litres per person.

I watched a good survival show the other day on foxtel. Was really good.

Make you you waer the distress beacon on you, don't leave it on the boat.

Just in saying that, i'd like to add, it is compulsory to have all of the safety equipment such as epirb, radio, etc when going out past 2 miles. But also noted you have to carry the 2 litres by law. I usually will have 6 litres on board, just in 2 litre orange juice bottles.

and we take drinks on board, and fresh water for the day. we keep the spare 6 litres just incase of emergency. so make sure you have in excess of the 2 litres per person,

as if you get pulled up at the end of the day out there, and obly have a litre left per person, you will probably cop it..