Bonito Madness

jordan.widz

Hi Raiders,

Went out for a fish with my dad out of broken bay an saturday in search of some reds. Our first stop was in pitwater to try our luck with some fresh squid but there were none to be found, after trying for about an hour and a half we didn't want to waste any more time so we headed out past barrenjoey and went south to try all our old snapper spots.

None produced any snapper or even mowong for that matter as we always used to jag the odd mowey. Anyway we tryed in close for a while chucking plastics around the headlands, washes etc... Still no snapper.

By now we wern't worried about taking a feed home and we just wanted to have some fun and cath something so we drove around a bit and came to a stop when we found absolute masses of birds flying around, hitting the water and coming up with mouth fulls of tiny baitfish. YEEEES!! after a dig around thrugh the tackle bag I get out some small chromies and start chucking them around with my light estury rods (2500 sedona, 7" catana 3-5kg) and boy did we have some fun. :yahoo::yahoo:

Neally every cast we hooked up on solid bonnies that were gorging themselves on the little whitebait, one of them we brought up couldn't even close its mouth because it was full of baitfish and when you released them they left a berley trail behind them, which the yakkas them came up and devoured. (I was suprised to see that the yakkas would also take our chromies when we slowed down the retrive). I can not explain how much fun it was to land these bonnies on such light gear, the rods would double over so far that sometimes the tip would be a foot under the water. By the end of the day we were really tightening up the drags and was amazed at the stick you could give these light outfits. :1yikes:

Also the beautifully calm seas and slight wind just added to the great day, probaly the best weather we've been out in this year.

Well cya for now and here is some video of us catching the the bonnies (excuse the amature camera work... :mfr_lol: )

Edited by Prawn Star

Hi Raiders,

Went out for a fish with my dad out of broken bay an saturday in search of some reds. Our first stop was in pitwater to try our luck with some fresh squid but there were none to be found, after trying for about an hour and a half we didn't want to waste any more time so we headed out past barrenjoey and went south to try all our old snapper spots.

None produced any snapper or even mowong for that matter as we always used to jag the odd mowey. Anyway we tryed in close for a while chucking plastics around the headlands, washes etc... Still no snapper.

By now we wern't worried about taking a feed home and we just wanted to have some fun and cath something so we drove around a bit and came to a stop when we found absolute masses of birds flying around, hitting the water and coming up with mouth fulls of tiny baitfish. YEEEES!! after a dig around thrugh the tackle bag I get out some small chromies and start chucking them around with my light estury rods (2500 sedona, 7" catana 3-5kg) and boy did we have some fun. :yahoo::yahoo:

Neally every cast we hooked up on solid bonnies that were gorging themselves on the little whitebait, one of them we brought up couldn't even close its mouth because it was full of baitfish and when you released them they left a berley trail behind them, which the yakkas them came up and devoured. (I was suprised to see that the yakkas would also take our chromies when we slowed down the retrive). I can not explain how much fun it was to land these bonnies on such light gear, the rods would double over so far that sometimes the tip would be a foot under the water. By the end of the day we were really tightening up the drags and was amazed at the stick you could give these light outfits. :1yikes:

Also the beautifully calm seas and slight wind just added to the great day, probaly the best weather we've been out in this year.

Well cya for now and here is some video of us catching the the bonnies (excuse the amature camera work... :mfr_lol: )

Great report :thumbup: Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

nice work mate

i was out there for a few hrs yesterday and got stuck into some nice salmon and bonito

great fun on 4lb gear average fish was around 50cm

fish went deep once the sun went down but we still hooked up

i made some recordings with my HDS ill post them later gotta love a blacked out sounder

Those speedsters can sure be a lot of fun on light gear. Did you keep some for bait? I've never missed on catching a feed when I've used them for bait. It doesn't matter if their fresh or salted down.

Regards Jeff

Yeh we kept about 6 bait and berley, they go good as strip baits for snapper and flatties