Kingfish In Pittwater

samboy

Hi Raiders,

Smiles and I are Heading out tommorow on the tinnie in search of some kings. Just wondering if there are any tips on what to burley and how much? I've read its best to try around the mooring because we dont have a sounder. Also we're keen to use some live squid, except we dont have a downrigger...is this pointless if we cant get the squid to the bottom??? Going to try some jigging too!!

Thanks

Higgs

Gday

a downrigger isn't needed to fish live squid it just makes it easier as you can cover more ground

if you do end up catching some live squid its probably a good idea not to burley as your just going to attract rubbish fish that will come and eat your squid

my advise would be to try and get some livies from around west head (fine to burley here) and keep a eye out for the salmon and bonito schools that will be working around the area you can spend all day looking for kings and come up with donuts shouldn't have a issue finding the salmon and bonito no sounder required

for berley use any oily fish chopped up fine such as pillies or bonito. I've heard a lot of people say that if you berley up to much your just over feeding the fish and they won't be hungry enough to take your baits, i reckon you should berley as much as you've got as i've only caught kingfish inside when I berley HEAPS. you don't need a downrigger to get kingies either, just rig the squid with 2 snelled hooks with at least a metre trace and use a size 6-8 ball sinker (heavier or lighter depemding on the current) and fish this just below your berley trail.

good luck tomorro and let us know how you go.

Cheers, Prawn Star