Lithgow Area Trout Advice: (Lyell, Tcd, Oberon)

lukedfluke

Hey guys,

I'm on school holidays and itching to get out for a fish, with the long weekend coming up i thought i might try something different and decided to look into the trout options in the blue mountains area eg. Lake Lyell, Thommos Creek Dam, Oberon. I've heard a bit about these locations on this awesome site, but of course i've never fished any of these dams. I was just wandering which location would be my best bet for a trout at this time of year? Also, i was wondering which method would work best (lure, fly or bait) as have i spin stick with a range of SP's and HB's, a fly rod with a wide variety of flies and some rods where i could set up some bait. Any addtional info like a genereal area of the dam where i should start fishing etc. would be greatly appreciated as i'd love to get into some nice trout! :D

Cheers guys

tight lines-

Don't know if you "know" me but I am free all holiday to guide ( just show you the fish- I am not a guide) and fish in the mountains- the catch is that you need to commit to 4 days camping- I can guarantee many fish ( see my latest report) if you willing. I live near you, so PM me if you are interested. The lakes dams are ok- but nothing like wild streams- no-one else and big fish and crystal clear water etc. I can bet you won't find better trout fishing in the mountains than what I can show you. I have all the camping gear etc- all you need is a good heart, enthusiasm and humour and a keen sense of adventure

Hope to hear from you,

Matt

Edited by Nanook

Gday Tight lines, Thompsons creek dam would be your best bet at the moment. Lake Lyell will be overrun with ski boats with it being school holidays so I would stay well clear of there. No baitfishing at Thommos, lure and fly only. Its about a 15 min walk in from the carpark to the dam wall. Once at the top of the wall walk around to your left and follow the shore line, on that side there are plenty of shallow bays to spin with a plastic or try some olive wooly buggers on the fly rod. Some very big fish in there so make sure your tippet is at least 6 to 8 lbs. good luck cheers troutboy

tight lines-

Don't know if you "know" me but I am free all holiday to guide ( just show you the fish- I am not a guide) and fish in the mountains- the catch is that you need to commit to 4 days camping- I can guarantee many fish ( see my latest report) if you willing. I live near you, so PM me if you are interested. The lakes dams are ok- but nothing like wild streams- no-one else and big fish and crystal clear water etc. I can bet you won't find better trout fishing in the mountains than what I can show you. I have all the camping gear etc- all you need is a good heart, enthusiasm and humour and a keen sense of adventure

Hope to hear from you,

Matt

hey Matt, to be honest.. that sounds fantastic and i have seen some of your reports on your wilderness trout in which i am very jealous of. The problem is that my family and i are going on a weekend hoiday up in the mountains and my mother sallowed one day for me to go fishing in one of the nearby creeks or dams. We're only staying there for 1-2 days since we'll have to get back home in time to attend the Roosters final. I really appreciate your offer and i would love to get out there in the wilderness but i think that i might not have enough time and i'll be spending time with the family :D .

On TCD, is it a relatively large dam? if so, could anyone suggest an area of the dam where it would be best for me to start my fish hunting? also, lure or fly?