350 Chev Problems

davegroves68

Hi Raiders,

I have a fairly new (18 months) 350 chev V8 in the back of my Bertie 25. Its been running well until recently but now a problem has cropped up. It runs fine at tickover and fine at high revs but if i try to raise the revs just over tickover speed it splutters and usually cuts out :ranting2: . While spluttering, if i push the throttle wide open, it will rev up and go well. This doesn't seem to be a terminal problem but makes manouvering at slow speed a bit tricky. I'm thinking its a carby problem but would appreciate your thoughts before i coff out $$$$ if its something i can fix. It has a Holley 4 barrel carb fitted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ,

Dave

You could try ( as a low cost do it yourself thing ) a can of "Carby Clean" ( in a spray can ) this will clean most of the internals in the carby pretty thouroughly, and get rid of any deposits in it. Simple to use. ( This may sound crazy but i used to pour water into mine slowly whilst running ( giving her a boot full of revs ) to clean the carby and internals.. Was told this by and old mechanic. I never had a problem.

Could be the fuel mixture setting has moved/worked its way in/out, don't know what carby it is but if its a larger one like a 650dpp or 850dpp ( Holley ) can be fun setting it but sounds like its flooding a little under low revs and under full throttle when the butterflies fully open, it sucks out all the fuel causing no spluttering.

Just my thoughts.

CHeeRS

Antun

Edited by Anroco

It sounds like a float sticking. Before pouring any sort of carbi cleaner in take the top of and check the fuel in the bowls. The coke cure can work but it contains heap of sugar. I use brake cleaner on my carbi's. Just spray it in while it is idling and then take the rev's to about 3000 for 20secs. It will clean out better then carbi cleaner.

Regards Jeff

Hey Dave, i had a similar issue with mine. turned out to be the auto choke on the carbie was flooding at low revs.... The mechnaic ended up overriding the auto choke by disconnecting it.

Makes it tricky to cold start but definitely better in the long run.

Not sure if your problem is the same but its worth checking i guess.

Good luck.

Dave,

I used to have a ski boat with a worked 350 Chev and 4 barrel Holley - had never ending problems with it - used to splutter when powering on all the time. Ended up replacing the Holley with a single throat Stromberg carby, simple and reliable - no noticeable reduction in power and never a problem after that. Also reduced fuel consumption substantially. 25 ft Bertie isn't a racing car so may be a viable solution.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers, Russ.

Edited by Tuffy

Thanks for the replies guys. That lot will keep me busy on saturday morning trying a few things out. If anyone is around Taylors Point, come say hi. I'm sure i will have a line out in the hope of a nice flattie :1fishing1:

I'll let you know how i get on with it. Hopefully an easy fix, but knowing boats,$$$$$$ will be involved.

Dave

Well, I have just come back from a few very wet few hours trying to sort the problem out and i can report that with the help of you kind fishraiders i have success :yahoo::yahoo:

Basically, it seems it was just blocked jets. It took a bit of doing with the carb cleaner and a thin piece of wire but she seems to be purring like a kitten now. the carb cleaner took a while to clear it but it seems all good now :biggrin2:

I even got a legal snapper and flathead while i was working.

Thanks again guys

Dave

i suggest you change your fuel filter then

have a nice feed tonight

and a legal snap

well there you go

half ya luck

Yeah, I have a new inline filter all ready to go in along with a new fuel pump, as the existing one makes too much noise.

Thanks again fellas. :thumbup: