Eucumbene

Moro Mou

Hello Raiders,

I am heading to Eucumbene for a couple of days next week and would apprecaite any tips.

We will have a boat + down rigger as well as fly gear for walking the banks.

Any tips or advice in terms of lure or fly patterns would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Moro Mou

Hello Raiders,

I am heading to Eucumbene for a couple of days next week and would apprecaite any tips.

We will have a boat + down rigger as well as fly gear for walking the banks.

Any tips or advice in terms of lure or fly patterns would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Moro Mou

Hey mate,

was there about 2 weeks ago for 5 days we trolled early morning and afternoon without downriggers and did fairly well best lures by far were rapala F5 and J5's and yellow wing tassie's if your camping by the water overnight dont be afraid to do some bait fishing with worms or grubs seen and heard plenty of people doing well of a night time by the bank

best of luck

Wouldn't bother with the down riggers, not necessary at this time of year. Flat-lining any minnows (Rapalas, Ecogears etc) and Tassie Devile (I said it...) will be fine for scoring Rainbows through out the day. Running some deeper diving Rapalas such as Jointed Shad Raps along the yabby beds will bring up some good Browns. You can normally identify the yabby beds just but looking at the shore line, if its a clay bank with little holes everywhere then you are in the right area. Stick to trolling the edges, I normally aim to be trolling in 7' - 15' depth range. Word of warning though, keep and eye on that sounder, there is miles of timber and it can get dangerous to motor around quickly.

The lake is slowly coming up (about 25-26%) and according to my sources the insects are starting to move so get that fly rod out in the evenings, start off with a Woolly Bugger, Woolly Worm or maybe a Tom Jones and prospect the edges, especially in amongst any drowned tussocks and thistles. As it gets closer to evening you may get lucky with a midge hatch, a small Red Tag or Midge Patterns usually work pretty well. At night it will be well worth persisting with the Fly Rod with Matukas, Mrs Simpsons or mudeye/cordulid patterns and will probably be the best chance of scoring a big Browny.

Like Flathead mentioned, bait will also work well and Mudeyes may be available (could be a bit early). Don't go past the old Powerbait either, Rainbows in particular love it.

Where abouts in Eucy are you planning to start from? Can give some more specific info if needed for some trolling runs and great little bays for Fly Fishing.

Matt

That's a bugger of a ramp with limited parking but you are sure in a great area especially for Rainbows.

Instead of trolling all the time in that area, I would do some timber prospecting with minnows and plastics. Big and Little Tolbar Bays and Forest Inlet are thick with drowned timber (both near the dam wall) and if you have a leccy it is well worth moving in and around the timber firing casts at the bank and trees and retrieving. Some huge Browns call these areas home and it can be a lot of fun.

Cheers

Windy

Was down there the week before the long weekend and we had a really good week trolling lead cores and flatlines. 75% of fish were caught on lead core. Pink and blue tassie devils did the damage for us, but stiffy vibes are good too if you are looking for an option out of left field. Fish were biting throughout the day. Didn't do much baitfishing but with the rising water level it should be good too.

Edited by tentonner