Garmin 300C Or 400C

andrew399

With the aussie $$$ doing so well at the moment I am thinking of buying a new sounder online from the states, does anyone have any thoughts on the garmin 300C or 400C? Any recomendations for sounders in the same price bracket?

Thanks in advance

Edited by dicko

Ok so I may have put this up a little bit too quickly without giving enough info. I will using the sounder predominately for downrigging in and out of the harbour for kings, as well as livebaiting the reefs and wrecks in and out of the harbour. The only other thing I will really be using it for is locating deep bream/bass and looking at the bottom for ideal flatty grounds.

Basically I only want to spend about $400 but if buying overseas that gives me a hell of a lot more options then if I was buying here. Colour would be nice, im aware the monochrome models in this price range are probably better due to pixel count but for what im doing does the 400C sound like it will be good enough? Are there any other models around this price that I should also consider? Maybe i should have posted this in boating... I have already searched the forums and got some good tips on these sounders but any other advice would be good.

Hey mate, I have the Garmin 400c. I'm not quite happy with it atm, maybe I got a faulty one, but the depth keeps changing on mine all the time. Sometimes I have to reset it just to get the right depth.

Do you need GPS at all? The new lowrance Elite 5 looks awesome! I wish I got that instead!

hey dave iv got ther 450 garmin for my run about it great its colour and its is also a gps the gps is built in desnt need and getting up or aireal tro fix it boat so no fuss jusat instal and off u got very users freindly i recomnd it very much i think u can get them for about 600 werth spend the bit extrac

Ok so been doing a bit more shopping around and i think i have gone off the garmins a bit... i like the look of the lowrance elite 5x and also the humminbird 586cx and 596cx. Im kind of leaning towards the humminbird 596 at the moment but will see what happens... i like to give myself about a week long 'cooling off' period before i make purchases haha. Do any of you guys use thes humminbird models? like them?

Those dimensions are just the size of the screen. Have you seen both of them?

I've had a play with both Lowrance and Humminbird. I think the lowrance presents itself nicer, the graphics are good and the functionality is quite easy.

Those dimensions are just the size of the screen. Have you seen both of them?

No the screen size is 4.5in for the bird and 5in for the lowrance, the pixel count is the clarity of the picture in each, so the bird has a clearer picture and picks up more because of the higher pixel count im pretty sure. Have not seen them in the flesh yet, juet reading reviews and looking at pics, will go into a store and have a look before i finally purchase.

lowrance over HB any day

aussie dolla is strong import from the states

get a hds 5

Cant afford it man! Was originally only looking to spend like 300 or so importing a garmin 400c but now upping to 450 for one of the other models iv mentioned. The hds 5 is still about 650 or so...

No the screen size is 4.5in for the bird and 5in for the lowrance, the pixel count is the clarity of the picture in each, so the bird has a clearer picture and picks up more because of the higher pixel count im pretty sure. Have not seen them in the flesh yet, juet reading reviews and looking at pics, will go into a store and have a look before i finally purchase.

Cant afford it man! Was originally only looking to spend like 300 or so importing a garmin 400c but now upping to 450 for one of the other models iv mentioned. The hds 5 is still about 650 or so...

mate take my advise

wait till you can save up the money

the sounder is the most important thing on your boat

its worh being without one for a few weeks and getting better quality gear

im a upgradeaholic i wish some one told me this 3 sounders ago

i run a hds8 and couldnt be happier i cant see myself upgrading atleast for a few months :)

picks up more because of the higher pixel count im pretty sure.

Dicko - what the sounder picks up has got nothing to do with the pixel count... The sensitivity of the sounder is governed by the power of the transducer.

Also if you are wanting to do a lot of downrigging i would suggest that you get a dual beam transducer so that you can see the bomb on the screen, It doesn't matter if you can't see it, but it can make it a lot easier, especially if you are new to downrigging and a bit nervous about running your baits down deep for fear of hooking up the bottom.

As Framedtrash said - save longer and buy a better quality, otherwise you will just want to be upgrading!