Solitary Flathead

davegroves68

Hi Raiders,

i finally got to catch up with an old workmate from back in the UK yesterday. Steve (Cluster 13)has just moved from the UK to Cronulla and just joined FR and posted in Adopt a learner.

Anyway, with his alarm set at 4.30am he headed up to my place at Brookie by train and bus then we drove to Pittwater for a day on the boat. 8am and the water was flat so we headed out to find some bait at West head :thumbdown: no luck there.. We then decided to head outside to Trawleys but when we got there it was rougher than we thought and there was zero on the sounder. Too uncomfortable to fish so we headed to Flint and Steel for an hour or so. All we got there was a small Rock cod. It was pretty busy there at the top of the tide and we moved round the corner to chase some tailor. Steve had never used soft plastics before so he was quite surprised when i got a few hits early on.

Lunch was had an it was a bit calmer so we headed to Lion island for a few drifts.

I picked up one nice eating size flattie and sergeant baker, so now i was determined to get Steve into a fish or 2. Then, bang! he's into something decent. A good size flathead comes up :thumbup: . but as i get the net... he's gone :ranting2::ranting2::05:

Nothing much else happened so it was time to introduce the newbie to another Northern Beaches gem.. the pub in Manly :beersmile::beersmile: before his long treck to Cronulla.

This is Steve with my flattie.

post-10917-049767500 1286685118_thumb.jpg

Not the best days fishing but was able to show Steve a few basics for his exploring in the Shire.

Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

I forgot to mention that steve got the fright of his life when a seal popped his head up at the back of the boat at Lion Island and hung around for a few minutes. That doesn't happen to often back in the old country :biggrin2:

Welcome to Australia Steve, you've come to an amazing place

Hi Raiders,

i finally got to catch up with an old workmate from back in the UK yesterday. Steve (Cluster 13)has just moved from the UK to Cronulla and just joined FR and posted in Adopt a learner.

Anyway, with his alarm set at 4.30am he headed up to my place at Brookie by train and bus then we drove to Pittwater for a day on the boat. 8am and the water was flat so we headed out to find some bait at West head :thumbdown: no luck there.. We then decided to head outside to Trawleys but when we got there it was rougher than we thought and there was zero on the sounder. Too uncomfortable to fish so we headed to Flint and Steel for an hour or so. All we got there was a small Rock cod. It was pretty busy there at the top of the tide and we moved round the corner to chase some tailor. Steve had never used soft plastics before so he was quite surprised when i got a few hits early on.

Lunch was had an it was a bit calmer so we headed to Lion island for a few drifts.

I picked up one nice eating size flattie and sergeant baker, so now i was determined to get Steve into a fish or 2. Then, bang! he's into something decent. A good size flathead comes up :thumbup: . but as i get the net... he's gone :ranting2::ranting2::05:

Nothing much else happened so it was time to introduce the newbie to another Northern Beaches gem.. the pub in Manly :beersmile::beersmile: before his long treck to Cronulla.

This is Steve with my flattie.

post-10917-049767500 1286685118_thumb.jpg

Not the best days fishing but was able to show Steve a few basics for his exploring in the Shire.

Dave

well come

Thanks for a great day out Dave :) have you got a commercial licence for that boat ?? it's fecking huge !!!!

it was a good day as Dave says but we were beaten a little by the lumpy seas and a bit of a lack of fish (though that didn't seem to stop Dave pulling a couple in ;) )

I would like to add that my flathead was bigger than Dave's but that probably doesn’t count as i didn't get it in the boat (never mind on the plate)

thanks to all who have welcomed me, I'm loving Australia and looking forward to the next 4 years here fishing :)

Thanks again Dave

And by the look of that redness he hasnt been in Oz for too long! :074:

Musty

I left the uk at the hight of summer 12 weeks ago and it was warmer when we landed here then when we took off !!!

i've had forty years in the rain !!! give a guy a break ;) lol

I left the uk at the hight of summer 12 weeks ago and it was warmer when we landed here then when we took off !!!

i've had forty years in the rain !!! give a guy a break ;) lol

HA HA HA good ol' aussie sledging!

Welcome to Gods country mate :)

Musty