Squid

paul1616

hi raiders im going fishing this weekend and id like to try and get some squid for live bait im going out from rose bay i like to fish around the wedding cakes and sth and north head and where close by can i get me some squid and help would be great

• 2 weeks later...

anywhere along the south head area starting from rosebay all the way to ladyjane at the end. as long as u see weed u will find the squid. U can get em in the day more often near the heads and more often during night when u head more up the harbour. high tide is best and i have found particular success on the full moon.

Heres a starting point (or more likely and ending point if u start from rosebay), try the weed beds at the last beach before you get around south head. also commonly known as lady jane. watch out for the nude ppl tho. they tend to put me off going there during the day :(

anywhere along the south head area starting from rosebay all the way to ladyjane at the end. as long as u see weed u will find the squid. U can get em in the day more often near the heads and more often during night when u head more up the harbour. high tide is best and i have found particular success on the full moon.

Heres a starting point (or more likely and ending point if u start from rosebay), try the weed beds at the last beach before you get around south head. also commonly known as lady jane. watch out for the nude ppl tho. they tend to put me off going there during the day :(

Hey Stefan, sorry to commandeer the post..

I often try and do the same thing but can never find any so i end up resorting to catching a few at rose bay wharf before i head out..

my question is what size jigs are you using and how are you fishing them, i have tried slow retrieving heaps of different yamashitas and yo-zuris over the kelp beds for nothing.

thanks mate.

• 2 weeks later...

seeing its 9 days later i dunno if ur gonna read this but ill put it up anyways: pink and white size 2.0 yamashitas and yo-zuris work well for me (2.5 to 3 if im fishing like 15m deep). the $25 dollar ones anyways haha i usually go landbased but get a couple from the boat now and then wen i target them. i usually put 1 on a float set about half the depth of the water and cast the other around. I try heaps of different retrieves but nothing beats a slow wind for me. You know ur going the right pace if ur lure is touching the bottom every 10 casts or so. Another is the soft plastics motion: 3 jerks up and then wait/ reel in the slack line. If ur finding them really hard to come by, stick out a pilchard either on a hook or just on some line and check it once in a while. Use it to draw a squid in then switch it with a jig. Last three times i went to watsons bay/lady jane i have always caught at least 1 and lost another 3-4 (need new barbs lol). rosebay wharf is the worst spot i have tried in the whole of sydney so if ur getting em outta there thats a gud effort. Try around the side of the catalina restuarant and also try the red marker at the eastern end of hermitage bay. have seen craig there alot.

seeing its 9 days later i dunno if ur gonna read this but ill put it up anyways: pink and white size 2.0 yamashitas and yo-zuris work well for me (2.5 to 3 if im fishing like 15m deep). the $25 dollar ones anyways haha i usually go landbased but get a couple from the boat now and then wen i target them. i usually put 1 on a float set about half the depth of the water and cast the other around. I try heaps of different retrieves but nothing beats a slow wind for me. You know ur going the right pace if ur lure is touching the bottom every 10 casts or so. Another is the soft plastics motion: 3 jerks up and then wait/ reel in the slack line. If ur finding them really hard to come by, stick out a pilchard either on a hook or just on some line and check it once in a while. Use it to draw a squid in then switch it with a jig. Last three times i went to watsons bay/lady jane i have always caught at least 1 and lost another 3-4 (need new barbs lol). rosebay wharf is the worst spot i have tried in the whole of sydney so if ur getting em outta there thats a gud effort. Try around the side of the catalina restuarant and also try the red marker at the eastern end of hermitage bay. have seen craig there alot.

Thanks mate, super helpful. I guess i just gotta keep at it.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Dave.

Helping a guy out with advice: 1 beer

Taking a mate fishing: 3 beers

Going fishing without a mate and coming back with the bag limit: 1 case

squidding is about all i can do so i try to help out where i can as the people on this site virtually instantly give me info whenever i ask. It's amazing really.