Savage Pacific Centre Console Conversion

wttmrwolf

doing well mate,i have a tasman very similar to yours and couldnt tell you how many times i wish the cabin wasnt there,gets in the way but good at the moment for the little kids ect.Keep the great pics coming,your effort will be worth it....:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :thumbup:

I own a share in another boat that is half cabin. I've threatened the other owners that I'll cut the bloody cabin off every time we get back from a fish. My kids don't want to come out on the boat so I figure time to get a CC ;)

• 5 months later...

Its been a few months but progress has been made. I ended up ripping up all the old stingers and glassing in new ones. The old ones had some signs of rot on closer inspection.

The last 2 weeks has been epic. All the new stringers are glassed in and level ready to accept the floor. I can't believe how long this takes. I have been working from 9pm till 2am every night of the week to try and get ready to install the floor.

Here are some of the things I had to do...

* grind back rotten glass in floor

* cut stringers

* glass in stringers

* build kill tank

* glass kill tank

* flowcoat kill tank

* install bilge stringer

* mount drains in kill tank and bilge stringer

* install bungs in bilge stringer

* cut floor sheets of ply

* glass bottom of floor

* foam fill cavities around kill tank

* glass new stringer in skeg

* more grinding :ranting2:

* more sanding

* more glassing

* leveling stringers

* wait for rain to stop :1badmood:

See new photos, attached! :yahoo:

I'm on a mission to get floor installed by Friday.

post-3761-090912900 1301970605_thumb.jpg

post-3761-093982400 1301970730_thumb.jpg

post-3761-017516000 1301970738_thumb.jpg

post-3761-055102100 1301970744_thumb.jpg

Looks good mate. I just built a new live bait tank (I should say my fibreglassing mate built it while I passed him tools) in my haines 445F. It will all be worth it when finished.

I would definitely leave the underfloor drainage as is.

Cheers

Marlin

• 11 months later...

Hi wolf,

i recently replaced my floor in my savage pacific, just a tip, when we went to put the 1 new piece of glassed marine ply down it wouldnt fit and we didnt want to trim too much off the sides,

so we cut it in half with a jigsaw cut then fitted them together and glassed back over the top worked a treat, im sick of my half cab as a 75hp honda low hrs on back, im wondering if its i conver it to centre console if this motor will be too big, fed up with having no fishing space, may start mine soon

all the best

gavin

Its been a few months but progress has been made. I ended up ripping up all the old stingers and glassing in new ones. The old ones had some signs of rot on closer inspection.

The last 2 weeks has been epic. All the new stringers are glassed in and level ready to accept the floor. I can't believe how long this takes. I have been working from 9pm till 2am every night of the week to try and get ready to install the floor.

Here are some of the things I had to do...

* grind back rotten glass in floor

* cut stringers

* glass in stringers

* build kill tank

* glass kill tank

* flowcoat kill tank

* install bilge stringer

* mount drains in kill tank and bilge stringer

* install bungs in bilge stringer

* cut floor sheets of ply

* glass bottom of floor

* foam fill cavities around kill tank

* glass new stringer in skeg

* more grinding :ranting2:

* more sanding

* more glassing

* leveling stringers

* wait for rain to stop :1badmood:

See new photos, attached! :yahoo:

I'm on a mission to get floor installed by Friday.

Hi Gavin,

Its pretty easy conversion if you need to replace floor since you can run all the dusting for steering and such. Without replacing floor need to get a little more creative.

I'm almost finished replacing the transom on my Savage. Project went on ice for nearly 12 months while work was busy. Might have transom all glassed in and good as new in a few weeks.

Ben

Hi wolf,

i recently replaced my floor in my savage pacific, just a tip, when we went to put the 1 new piece of glassed marine ply down it wouldnt fit and we didnt want to trim too much off the sides,

so we cut it in half with a jigsaw cut then fitted them together and glassed back over the top worked a treat, im sick of my half cab as a 75hp honda low hrs on back, im wondering if its i conver it to centre console if this motor will be too big, fed up with having no fishing space, may start mine soon

all the best

gavin

Hi Ben,

yes it took me months and hours of work to replace the floor, yes if i do the conversion have to work out the front section, of boat, i still think its worth what you doing compared to buying a centre console they pulling good money, yes my transom was replaced as well, i think half cabins are great for bay and rivers, but i live in ocean pull pots and usully fish 2-4metre seas, and it gets too heavy in arse with 2 guys fishing.

Well ben look forward to more photos as you go, im trying to sell mine but if i dont sell im thinking going down your path, all the best

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Its pretty easy conversion if you need to replace floor since you can run all the dusting for steering and such. Without replacing floor need to get a little more creative.

I'm almost finished replacing the transom on my Savage. Project went on ice for nearly 12 months while work was busy. Might have transom all glassed in and good as new in a few weeks.

Ben

• 8 months later...

Hi Wolf,

I know its been awhile since your last update, How is it going? Did you make your own CC or buy one?

I'm keen to find out how it went 'cos I have a 5.5 novacraft half cab that needs the floor replacing and I am considering weather to cut the cab off or not.

What are you going to do with the top edges of the hull? (Gunwale??) Build something in wood/glass I guess? I did that on my Nova 25 project where the gunwale had been chopped out at some point in the past..Look up "Nova 25 repaint" on Youtube (by Overdue1970).

More photos of yours please???