Abu Soron Stx

hambo692

Hey everyone

I need a new reel, and was almost definitely going to get the Daiwa Exceler DA 4000, but recently I noticed the Soron STX and thought it looked pretty good. It's a bit more expensive but i save money on backing anyway because of the 'SuperLine spool'. I will be matching it to a Pioneer 8-10kg and probably put 15lb and 30 lb braid on the spools (as Slinky suggested in my other topic) and use it for both bait and lures for kings and jewies. But I'm not too sure which size to go- the 40 or the 60. The 40 is 308g and the 60 is 434g, and the Daiwa is 385g :wacko: Also, the max drag is only 7kg on the 40, but 10kg on the 60. I know many members are fans of these reels, so if someone could help me out a bit that would be awesome.

Thanks

Edit: Are the 11 bearings as good as 11 bearings sounds? And I will mainly be using it landbased.

Edited by Flatboy

I'm very happy with my STX40, super smooth and very solid. Doubles as a beach reel every now and then and doesn't complain about the salt or the sand (provided you clean it properly). Would happily get another when this one dies. I've got an older Exceler 2500 which is also very nice, but doesn't feel as solid. Plus when I had trouble with the spare spool on the Soron Pure Fishing helped me out no questions asked and had a brand new spool out to me in no time. Can't help as to whether you'd be better with the 40 or the 60 - but I reckon either way you'd be hard pressed to stop a determined kingy from dusting you when landbased so I'd go the smaller reel and enjoy the lighter weight.

Cheers,

Adam.

I'm very happy with my STX40, super smooth and very solid. Doubles as a beach reel every now and then and doesn't complain about the salt or the sand (provided you clean it properly). Would happily get another when this one dies. I've got an older Exceler 2500 which is also very nice, but doesn't feel as solid. Plus when I had trouble with the spare spool on the Soron Pure Fishing helped me out no questions asked and had a brand new spool out to me in no time. Can't help as to whether you'd be better with the 40 or the 60 - but I reckon either way you'd be hard pressed to stop a determined kingy from dusting you when landbased so I'd go the smaller reel and enjoy the lighter weight.

Cheers,

Adam.

I'd go the 60, i've got mine loaded up with 20lb braid, 15lb the soron will handle it with ease. I've got 3 sorons and I love them, they don't miss a beat.

Also the warranty & spares service at pure fishing is faultless, their reel tech is one of the best.

A bearings main purpose is to make things run smoothly. 11 bearings in my opinion is overkill but purefishing state this is what they intended for this reel, overbuilt and affordable. take a reel with 5 bearings, maybe 2 on the main gear, one in the handle, one on the line runner and the anti reverse bearing. Every other mechanical piece of the reel will not be running bearings and will have some amount of friction. With the soron they have extra bearings in the bail arms, spool, shaft cog etc which reduces the overall friction in the operation of the reel, and therefore feels a lot smoother for the user and will stay smoother for longer. I own a stx10 and absolutely love it, the build of the reel gives me a lot more confidence when fishing and I know it has the added grunt if something of size takes a liking to my bait/lure.

Hope this helps

Daniel

A bearings main purpose is to make things run smoothly. 11 bearings in my opinion is overkill but purefishing state this is what they intended for this reel, overbuilt and affordable. take a reel with 5 bearings, maybe 2 on the main gear, one in the handle, one on the line runner and the anti reverse bearing. Every other mechanical piece of the reel will not be running bearings and will have some amount of friction. With the soron they have extra bearings in the bail arms, spool, shaft cog etc which reduces the overall friction in the operation of the reel, and therefore feels a lot smoother for the user and will stay smoother for longer. I own a stx10 and absolutely love it, the build of the reel gives me a lot more confidence when fishing and I know it has the added grunt if something of size takes a liking to my bait/lure.

Hope this helps

Daniel

Thanks again woodch0p it sounds like a great reel. Wish i had some more money at the moment haha

Edited by Flatboy

Just to add to what woodch0p said, it's worth also noting that not all bearings are created equal.

Some reels advertise having lots of bearings but use cheap, low quality bearings. The poor quality is reflected in their lack of precision (which translates to noise, roughness, faster wear, and so on) and very much to their lack of longevity.

I could buy bearings for around $1 each to put in my reels... I don't! The bearings I use, like those in the better brands like Abu, are better quality. At retail, a good quality small bearing will cost around $10-15 (or more if you go for top of the range). That's one of the way's 'el cheapo' reels get to be cheap... put 10 bearings in that cost $10 instead of $10 that cost $100.

Lots of quality bearings translate to a very smooth reel but like woodch0p, I don't place as much of value on having heaps... just good quality bearings in the most important places. You couldn't get me to part with my 2 Soron STXs though!! :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

• 3 weeks later...

yeh i have a soron stx40 also like many other it seems

i was lucky enoght to get one a few years ago when they were first comeing out and the reel has not let me down ever

over time as my oher wear ou i will also replace them with the sorons

that said they are a small made reel with the 40 feeling like a 2500 type size so the 60's are not that big a reel

either way you end up going i think you should be happy