Blackies From The Backyard!

lukedfluke

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while basically due to the fact that i haven't had a fish for along time and haven't come up with much to write about when i have. Also because i've been busy with study for school certificate and what not. So... fortunately all my exams were finally out of the way and i got a good chance to have a fish from my backyard since we finally moved back to mosman. I'd noticed from previous observations in the water that there were a few blackies swimming in the water right in front of our house, but since we hadn't moved all our fishing gear from our previous house.. I didn't have the right gear to target them.

Well, yesterday i had all my gear and collected some weed from the nearby jetty and set out for a couple of hours fish after school before the sun went down. I'd only gone blackfishing once before and that was at avoca, but i didn't catch any, although my brother had better luck so i didn't know if i was on the right track with my technique.

I started fishing right in front of my house, where i first saw the blackies... But had a couple of drifts with plenty of berley for no downs Soo.. I moved down to the jetty and tried my luck there but unfortunately no luck either So i tried my luck at this final spot right next to the wharf at this public park with a bench... So, i fished for a bit till inoticed my float acting a little weird and dipping a bit but i kept bringing it in with no weed on it. I berleyed all the weed i had left and had one last cast and once again at the same spot as before.. My float did a little bit of a dance and dipped under for a bit and moved to the left. Thinking i had lost my chance and ready to go home, i reeled in my float only to come up tight to a nicee fish! It twisted and turned and did it's best to shake the hook but it was not going anywhere... By this time i was panicking to land the fish since i had no net and i had to lift it a fair length on 8lb line... Luckily it held tight and i managed to land my first ever blacky, from the backyard! It came up to 35cm on the lie detector and plans are to take the day off school today and do my best to catch some more! but shhhhh... Don't tell anyone :P

post-12335-074505700 1289508495_thumb.jpg

post-12335-023834800 1289508504_thumb.jpg

post-12335-069106400 1289508527_thumb.jpg

It came up to 35cm on the lie detector and plans are to take the day off school today and do my best to catch some more! but shhhhh... Don't tell anyone :P

Your secret is safe wth me :biggrin2: Good fish mate, from a very handy location too. Good luck today!

Cheers

Hodgey

Congratulations!

See you in my office on Monday.

The Principal

:)

Tight lines, looks like MORE detention for you. You will be assigned to do 2 hours detention on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the same location and if you do NOT provide adequate numbers of fish for the teaching staff your rods will be confiscated !!!

Tuffy.

Tight lines, looks like MORE detention for you. You will be assigned to do 2 hours detention on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the same location and if you do NOT provide adequate numbers of fish for the teaching staff your rods will be confiscated !!!

Tuffy.

hahahah love it, no problem sir.. i'll do my best :D

Hey Tight lines,

Just be careful - blackfish fishing is very addictive and it does weird things to you.

Watching that float actually causes space to curve around you and creates a time space anomaly.

You see, when you watch that float intently for five minutes, the space curvature makes your watch go 2 hours into the future !

After half an hour, mate, your trip is over and you have to go home already !

From the outside of the space time curvature, you appear to be standing still....

You could call it a blackie hole.......

You see what I mean about addiction?

OK - seriously now, some advice for you that I got from people years ago when fishing blackies in calm water.

The fish are generally smaller than ocean fish and are a lot more skittish.

Must have very light fluorocarbon trace - try 4lb if you're keen, but need a net as you can't lift fish.

They need a long time on the down before striking and require a bit of burley to get them on the bite.

Start with a shallower trace than normal and work your way deeper.

Blackies will never dive for a bait but are happy to rise.

Burley with chopped weed and sand - a little every 5 minutes.

You can have a couple of rods out with floats if you can manage this - traces at different depths - see what depth the fish are at......

Hope this helps.

PS - I hope your principal is not a supporter of the Greens....you may have to take up knitting....

PPS - In that last photo, is the fish on a fish measure sitting on a nicely folded shirt ?

If you're not dodging bullets from the principal, mate you'll certainly be dodging them from your mum !

You're a true fisherman.....Only the fish matter......

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Hey Tight lines,

Just be careful - blackfish fishing is very addictive and it does weird things to you.

Watching that float actually causes space to curve around you and creates a time space anomaly.

You see, when you watch that float intently for five minutes, the space curvature makes your watch go 2 hours into the future !

After half an hour, mate, your trip is over and you have to go home already !

From the outside of the space time curvature, you appear to be standing still....

You could call it a blackie hole.......

You see what I mean about addiction?

OK - seriously now, some advice for you that I got from people years ago when fishing blackies in calm water.

The fish are generally smaller than ocean fish and are a lot more skittish.

Must have very light fluorocarbon trace - try 4lb if you're keen, but need a net as you can't lift fish.

They need a long time on the down before striking and require a bit of burley to get them on the bite.

Start with a shallower trace than normal and work your way deeper.

Blackies will never dive for a bait but are happy to rise.

Burley with chopped weed and sand - a little every 5 minutes.

You can have a couple of rods out with floats if you can manage this - traces at different depths - see what depth the fish are at......

Hope this helps.

PS - I hope your principal is not a supporter of the Greens....you may have to take up knitting....

PPS - In that last photo, is the fish on a fish measure sitting on a nicely folded shirt ?

If you're not dodging bullets from the principal, mate you'll certainly be dodging them from your mum !

You're a true fisherman.....Only the fish matter......

Tony

Hey Tony, Gotta totally disagree with you about blackfishing being addictive. I took it up about 40 years ago and could give it up anytime i want. The main reason that I may spend over 2 hours chasing weed is because I love driving and putting petrol in the car. The main reason I might put up to $20 a day in parking meters is because I'd hate to see our city councils go broke. The main reason I can leave home at 5.30am in the middle of winter is that I love freezing westerlies. The main reason that I...................ok, it might be slightly addictive - but I can give it up any time I want.

Rickster

Hey Tony, Gotta totally disagree with you about blackfishing being addictive. I took it up about 40 years ago and could give it up anytime i want. The main reason that I may spend over 2 hours chasing weed is because I love driving and putting petrol in the car. The main reason I might put up to $20 a day in parking meters is because I'd hate to see our city councils go broke. The main reason I can leave home at 5.30am in the middle of winter is that I love freezing westerlies. The main reason that I...................ok, it might be slightly addictive - but I can give it up any time I want.

Rickster

Hi Rickster,

I had a good chuckle - give it up anytime you want eh?

Isn't that what ALL addicts say between frostbitten lips while feeding the parking meters after long weed-searching drives?

While I actually HAVE given it up, I would still relish a chance to do it again, but arguing with divers and with people lifting your keeper net to see the fish then leaving it on the exposed rock for the fish to die took its toll on my enjoyment of it...

Now it's just me in a boat and yelling at the close-buzzing jetskiers...

Tony

Hi Rickster,

I had a good chuckle - give it up anytime you want eh?

Isn't that what ALL addicts say between frostbitten lips while feeding the parking meters after long weed-searching drives?

While I actually HAVE given it up, I would still relish a chance to do it again, but arguing with divers and with people lifting your keeper net to see the fish then leaving it on the exposed rock for the fish to die took its toll on my enjoyment of it...

Now it's just me in a boat and yelling at the close-buzzing jetskiers...

Tony

Hey Tony, I'm serious about being able to give it up anytime I want :whistling: My last two trips in the harbour resulted in two and none. I'm not completely stupid or addicted so absolutely no more for me, enough's enough, that's it, put the rod away until next winter, finito (unless of course I can find a few on sunday)

Rickster

Hey Tony, I'm serious about being able to give it up anytime I want :whistling: My last two trips in the harbour resulted in two and none. I'm not completely stupid or addicted so absolutely no more for me, enough's enough, that's it, put the rod away until next winter, finito (unless of course I can find a few on sunday)

Rickster

OK Mate - I believe you....

Look out ! You got a down !!!

Strike him NOW !!!!!

YES..... oooooOOOHHH YEEEEESSSS.... :074:

I see you're a mentor, but I'm more of a tormentor.bmp

Edited by Keflapod