Nambucca Trip

Michael Hatte

Hey guys just got back from a 4 day trip up to Nambucca,Been Itching to get up there since sept but either work or poor weather stopped me from going up for a a fish.

Planned to fish it with Musty but due to work commitments he also had to postpone the trip only a few days before we were planned to go up.

Drove for half the night on weds so i could get a whole day in on thursday, weather reports were looking good leading ino the trip so i was getting excited for some great lure action over the next few days.

Thursday morning i was on the water at 5.30am and started my paddle across the river to the mouth of Warrel Creek, the morning started off perfect with no wind and slightly overcast skys. Managed a few small flathead on plastics but recent rains had the river looking like choc milk and im guessing the fish had shut down with all the fresh coming down the river on the run out tide, swicth to surface poppers which i really had not to much success with in the past but only a few casts into the small rebel popper was smacked off the surface and i had on my first ever whiting on popper :yahoo:, continued with the popper for an hour and also nailed a nice bream and another small flathead.

About mid morning on thursday the clouds rolled in from the west and south and within a hour the heavens opened in a major way and i paddled like solo man back to the ramp...

It poured down for a few hours but the wind was still minimal so decided to hit Valla Beach with the old man, pulled a few worms and fished a nice little sand bar for a couple hours, the old man putting me to shame landing 2 nice whiting and 2 stud bream that put up a great fight in the surf!! Me 0 :thumbdown:

Friday we planned to Grab a mates boat and fish together for some lizards back in nambucca, after the average session near the mouth of the system the day before in the yak i decided to head further down towards Macksville and fish weed edges that drop off into deep water, the action was great and could'nt wipe the smile of my dads face for hours :biggrin2: nailing about 20 plus flatties ranging from 40-50cm, kept a few for the table and headed back to the mouth for a shot at some whiting on the flats.

By the time we made it to the entrance the wind had picked up to about 20kts and fishing out of a tiny 3.5m punt with a 8hp we dicided to call it a day.

The wind picked up even more in the afternoon and stayed for the entire night!!!! :ranting2:

Woke early sat morning (5am) and the wind was still blowing hard but we grabed the boat again and took of down the river to the same general area, fishing was very frustrating with the boat blowing around and could really only fish the area against the current which is always a pain in the arse.

Fished the area for around 2 hours for 5 just legal flathead and a nice fish of 78cm, the wind was getting worse with some gusts easily hitting 30kts so we headed back to call it a day, it blew all day and night again :ranting2:

This morning we were meet with another stiff NE so i decided not to head out but headed out with a mate who had just purchased a new boat so he was stinging to take it for a run a so was i, its a great little boat 4.35 stessle truck with a 60 yamie 4 stroke, all that is needed is a leccy and will be a serious fishing rig... :thumbup:

Cant really complain about the fishing but the wind and dirty water certainly made fishing very tuff on this trip, fingers crossed christmas holidays we get better conditions

post-10930-049160500 1289723553_thumb.jpg

Mick :beersmile:

Good to see you had a bit of fun. Spewin i couldnt make it but fishing wise i suppose i didnt miss out on too much but shame i missed out on the non stop laughs and good times i know we would of had as usual! :ranting2: I was only catching the same size species and fish around Towra and Woolaware when i did manage to sneak out. No bigguns tho :thumbdown:

Atleast u didnt have to yak it all day every day. Keen to see Baz's new boat too should be a heavy duty weapon!

Musty

Mick,

At least you got amoungst a few and thats a cracker 78cm looks like you've pulled her from around the racks....I've only ever bream fished around there must gives the lizards a squirt in January. if you are starting to pull a few off the surface January is looking very promising for the usual bream / whiting and the odd flat....Warrell is my fav spot for that too and around the islands...

Tight Lines

Mick,

At least you got amoungst a few and thats a cracker 78cm looks like you've pulled her from around the racks....I've only ever bream fished around there must gives the lizards a squirt in January. if you are starting to pull a few off the surface January is looking very promising for the usual bream / whiting and the odd flat....Warrell is my fav spot for that too and around the islands...

Tight Lines

I had never ventured that far down river before either but have found 2 areas that look fantastic down there, will send you a pm on location :thumbup:

The main sandflat at the entrance looks the goods mate, i had really small high tide when i was up there and alot of that area was still high and dry but another 30-40cm of water would have ther whole area covered nicely.

Cant wait to get up there for round 2!!!!

Mick

Good on ya Mick. Mediocre conditions and dirty water didn't stop you from finding a few fish and enjoying yourself regardless. Once it all settles down, it will be a different story next time around. :thumbup:

Looking forward to your report "Nambucca Pt II" :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ian

G'Day Mick.

Fantastic report. Congrats on the big lizard! Pitty about the weather at the moment, it is still like winter. Like you the wind is pi$$ing me off as well :ranting2:

Get some pictures of your mates boat. It sounds sweet, love the sound of those Yammies in full song, especially the 60!

Like you said once he gets a bow mount, will be a great setup. Minn Kota have the new Saltwater Terrova with I-Pilot, which allows both remote AND Footpedal!

Never been to Numbucca, might have to go soon.

Regards,

Rob