Hawks Nest And Port Stephens

rjc123

Hi all,

At christmas im heading up to hawks nest for a week. As you probably guessed, yes i will be fishing. Mainly in the myall river for bream, flounder and flathead aswell as jimmys beach for bream and whiting. We also go on a reef fishing charter. Mainly flathead, snapper, nannygai and pearlies. I was just wondering if anyone has been there recently or if anyone just has any tips about bait, lures, spots etc. I'm getting a jewie set up soon and i am yet to try under the bridge at tea gardens for a monster. Iv'e heard of many captures over the 20kg mark so i might just have to try my luck. I'm landbased but sometimes we hire a boat at tea gardens and go up to the mouth of the river. We tried beach fishing last year after hearing good things but it turned out to be a disaster. We didn't have the right gear eg: 7 foot rods and 4000 size reels. had the bait taken but didnt feel a thing as the rod was already buckled over from all the weight from the sinkers.

Any tips about charters or tips for gear would be greatly accepted and appreciated.

Tom

Also, i have been to dark point just 20 inutes or so north of hawks nest and seen alot of life around. There is a small headland here and it stretches 50m or so out off the beach. Is this a good spot to spin for longtail, cobia and Mackerel aswell as tailor, salmon and bonnies???? im keen to try it out!