Newbie Braid Question.

facebook

hey guys, i am trying metal lures and poppers. i got these brand new daiwa braids. they are fully braided. the problem with it is. wind knot happens. and it is so annoying to untangle everything. what brand braid does not do that and what can i do to avoid it? it is such a headache!

I don't know too much about braid, but the stiffer fused braids like Fireline should result in less wind knots (I think). But in the higher breaking strains (15lb+) the stiffness will probably become a bit annoying. This is just what i seem to have picked up hope it helps

G'day Fireflies,

Unfortunately, there's not a simple answer to your question. Braid is very limp compared to monofilament fishing line so it is more prone to tangles, 'casting knots' and other 'handling' problems.

There are a few things that will effect whether you have problems with your braid or the number of problems you might have.

1. Stiffness - A stiffer braid is less prone to handling problems and some braid is stiffer than others... as was said by Flatboy, Fireline is much stiffer and usually easier to handle a good braid to learn with. In heavier breaking strains (20lb and up) is can be a bit like 'fencing wire' but is still a lot thinner than the equivalent mono.

2. Reels - One of the things that can cause problems is the style of reel (and particularly the spool) you use. Spin reels have changed a lot in recent years, partly to help deal with braided lines. If you have an old style reel it's possible that the spool is allowing loose loops of line to easily 'fall off', creating tangles.

3. Rods - A lot of newer rods are using smaller diameter guides to also help prevent problems which can occur if the line 'flings around' too much when you cast.

4. Technique - It's too hard to guide you on this but certain things about your casting or retrieving can create problems with braid... for example if you wind the line onto the reel very loosly. There's a lot of issues but practice is the only cure.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Fireflies,

Unfortunately, there's not a simple answer to your question. Braid is very limp compared to monofilament fishing line so it is more prone to tangles, 'casting knots' and other 'handling' problems.

There are a few things that will effect whether you have problems with your braid or the number of problems you might have.

1. Stiffness - A stiffer braid is less prone to handling problems and some braid is stiffer than others... as was said by Flatboy, Fireline is much stiffer and usually easier to handle a good braid to learn with. In heavier breaking strains (20lb and up) is can be a bit like 'fencing wire' but is still a lot thinner than the equivalent mono.

2. Reels - One of the things that can cause problems is the style of reel (and particularly the spool) you use. Spin reels have changed a lot in recent years, partly to help deal with braided lines. If you have an old style reel it's possible that the spool is allowing loose loops of line to easily 'fall off', creating tangles.

3. Rods - A lot of newer rods are using smaller diameter guides to also help prevent problems which can occur if the line 'flings around' too much when you cast.

4. Technique - It's too hard to guide you on this but certain things about your casting or retrieving can create problems with braid... for example if you wind the line onto the reel very loosly. There's a lot of issues but practice is the only cure.

Cheers, Slinky

thanks so much. i have an old egg beater and the rod's guide isnt that small maybe thats why.