Downrigger Bombs

rodd33

hi all, just purchased a new downriggger in the hope of catching my first kingy this summer, was just after some advice on what size bomb i should use, i will be fishing in botany bay, any advise would be much appreciated, cheers rod, also how long should i run my line off the bomb

Edited by rodd33

A 7lb bomb should cover most circumstances just fine mate.

As for the depth it would depend what your targeting. If your using a sounder it makes it easier as you can see what depth bait schools and fish are holding up at. I am sure some others can help further on this one... I would imagine most would suggest that Kings would be from midwater down and that you should have the bait above the fish.

Edited by Maiders

thx 4 the reply maiders, yea i ment how far should i leave set my bait off the bomb, i do have a sounder, cheers Rod

Some people use 6-10ft drop backs however most people seem to prefer longer drop backs especially if the kingies are a bit shy. I think 15-20ft would allow a fair amount of movement in most live baits. Its important to have confidence in what your doing so choose a distance that you feel happy with. Alter it if your not getting results.

Guest Aussie007

the bomb weight would depend on your downrigger make and model dont just go running any weight as u could loose the whole lot over the side ive used a 4lb weight out the front of the south botany head worked perfect at 20ft for 85cm kingys