Hds 7 Question ?

cut_loose

Hey guys, looking at the HDS 7 sounder, i want to buy one very soon, i notice there was a difference between 2 models.

Lowrance HDS-7 Base Multifunction Fishfinder Chartplotter 140-05

Lowrance HDS-7 Base Multifunction Fishfinder Chartplotter 140-34

What's the difference between the 2 ? The first one is around $50 cheaper, is there a reason be hide it ?

Thanks. :)

Form Lowrance -

Most of the sonar units that we sell accessories for operate at 200 kHz (kilohertz). Some are dual-frequency capable, meaning they can use both 50 and 200 kHz transducers. And a few new models are dual-search capable, allowing for both 83 and 200 kHz operation. Typically, high frequency (200 or 192 kHz) sonar units provide the best resolution and definition of structure and targets. They excel at showing minute details of the underwater world. 50 and 83 kHz frequencies have much greater depth penetration capability, but show less definition.

You must match the transducer's frequency to the sonar unit. For example, a 200 kHz sonar unit requires a 200 kHz transducer.

Cone Angle

A transducer's cone angle determines its coverage area of the underwater world. The wider the cone angle, the greater the area that's covered. We offer a variety of 200 kHz transducers with either a wide (20°) or narrow (12°) cone angle. The 50 kHz transducers come with a 35° cone angle. The dual-frequency transducers come with both a narrow (12°) 200 kHz and a wide (35°) 50 kHz cone angles. And the dual-search transducers come with both a narrow (12°) 200 kHz and a wide (35°) 83 kHz cone angles.

Generally, use a wide cone angle for fishing shallow to medium depths. The narrow cone penetrates to deeper depths, but shows less fish and structure due to its narrow beam.

If your regularly fishing deeper than say a 100ft go to the 50/200hz. Otherwise for general inshore and estuary work the 83/200 would be fine.

Some HDS owners on the site might be able to give you their preference and why.

C.

Hi, Chris has answered your question well and for everything that the majority of what people do the 83/200kHz transduer is fine and as he said it does give better readings. IF you are going to go the shelf then get the 50/200kHz one.

We sell more of the 83/200s.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, Chris has answered your question well and for everything that the majority of what people do the 83/200kHz transduer is fine and as he said it does give better readings. IF you are going to go the shelf then get the 50/200kHz one.

We sell more of the 83/200s.

Cheers,

Huey.

Is there any way to tell which transducer is installed if its already fitted to the boat and connected to one of the lowrance sounders?

You could also just open up the fish finder screen then go and change the freq in the menu

But if you have not entered in the correct tranny into the settings you will find it displays all 3 ie 83/50/200

If yours does this you have not set the transducer type in the settings

You could also just open up the fish finder screen then go and change the freq in the menu

But if you have not entered in the correct tranny into the settings you will find it displays all 3 ie 83/50/200

If yours does this you have not set the transducer type in the settings

yea I can select all three. The sonar cable has got silver sticker on it with the following info on it. Cant find much in the internet

E-710

REV-B

yeh ALOT of people dont setup the sounder correctly

ALL HDS users should watch

video and make sure they have there tranducer setup correctly

once you have done this cycle thru your freq on the sounder and then you will no what transducer you have

cheers

btw

if you have your sounder on and your out of the water make sure you hit the STOP SONAR button as this turns off the transducer

you dont want to be running the tranny out of water as you could cause damage

on the 8-10 units this is one of the buttons on the bottom of the screen on the 7-5 i think it would be in the sonar menu some where

Edited by Framedtrash

Thanks for the info guys.

If i got the 50/200 could i switch modes between 50/200 and 87/200 ?

Cheers

Correct me if im wrong but if you have a 50/200 transducer you can only switch between both but wont with 83/200 ( not 87 )you will need one or the other 50/200 or 83/200 if that makes sense :thumbup:

Correct me if im wrong but if you have a 50/200 transducer you can only switch between both but wont with 83/200 ( not 87 )you will need one or the other 50/200 or 83/200 if that makes sense :thumbup:

correct

sure u can change the settings in the HDS unit and trick it into thinking your have a 50/200 when its actually a 83/200 and it will display stuff on the screen

but its not usable data

its either one or the other

its why its very important u setup the transducer in the settings on your unit

if your dont your sounder wont be displaying the correct infomation

unless u do alot of offshore work the 83/200 is what you need

Edited by Framedtrash