Metal Slice & Lead Slug Lures

gretsch

Gidday All,

I am looking to change my trebles over to singles on all my slice/slug type lures for Bonnies, Salmon, Taylor etc... I find the trebles are not conducive to catch and release in many situations.

Has anyone done this? I am looking to put a single 1/0 or 2/0 on the split ring of 7 to 15 gram lures.

Edited by Cephalopod

Gidday All,

I am looking to change my trebles over to singles on all my slice/slug type lures for Bonnies, Salmon, Taylor etc... I find the trebles are not conducive to catch and release in many situations.

Has anyone done this? I am looking to put a single 1/0 or 2/0 on the split ring of 7 to 15 gram lures.

yeh i do that with all my metal lures

in fact not only is it better for catch and release you will find you will have a better hook up rate and the fish find it harder to free the hook

what i did was use two split ring in the tail so the hook sat straght and used he gamma sl12s in a 1/0

you will not be disapointed if you do this thas for sure and like me wonder why i took you so long to do it

yeh i do that with all my metal lures

in fact not only is it better for catch and release you will find you will have a better hook up rate and the fish find it harder to free the hook

what i did was use two split ring in the tail so the hook sat straght and used he gamma sl12s in a 1/0

you will not be disapointed if you do this thas for sure and like me wonder why i took you so long to do it

Thanks Dude.. why the second split ring?

im looking into doing the same thing

im told the decoy pluggin singles and the Gamakatsu Single Lure singles are the way to go

they have a inline eye so every thing runs nice and strait for better hooks ups

the use of the 2nd split ring is to allow the hook to swing more

i dont think its needed with the inline hooks tho

G'Day Chris

I have been running single hooks on metal slices for salmon on the beach this year and I found the improvement in hook up rate was very noticeable. Also a lot easier to release them from a single hook to send them back into the surf. I opted for octopus hooks (as recommended by a local). I have seen the in-line hooks used to great success as well :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

G'day Ceph,

I mostly use singles on all my metals... Decoy or Gamakatsu lure singles with the in-line eye.

I actually find a very slightly lower hook-up rate but a huge improvement in keeping fish hooked... particularly on erratic fighters like tailor.

Cheers, Slinky

I use singles on all my metals too, been working a treat!

I rig it without the second split ring, with a bait hook (black magic KS), so the hook does naturally sit to one direction. This said if I didn't have a box of 50 of these black magic KS hooks lying around I would probably buy decoy JS or gamakatsu single 55barbless