Jewie Tackle

rjc123

Hi all,

In late December im off to Hawkesnest To chase a few reefies on charters but also Fish on the wharf under the singing bridge for Jewies. Its meant to be a real hot spot for 20kg+ fish. I will probably fish at night. I have bought some 50lb line and rovex 50lb leader material. I'm getting a Shimano baitrunner and a few other things before we go too. Is a 5-7kg rod ok or should i go heavier. What are the best rigs to use when fishing with probably Mullet strips and other flesh????

Thanks Tom

Here is a list of reels also that im consitering. Just Tell me which ones are bets for jewies and kingies.

* Abu Soron STX70

*Daiwa Exceler DA Saltwater HD

*Daiwa Saltist 4500 Spin

*Shimano Baitrunner

*Penn Spinfisher

Any other suggestions would be great and Please PM me on where these reels are in stock around sydney.

Tom

hi mate depends how sporty u want to get me and alot of other raiders try our witts flicking lures on 1000-2000 size reels with 6-8pd main and 10-12pd leader, alot of people use heavier gear, horses for courses me thinks really. depends on the individual at the end of the day, the rig u mentioned in the 1st post is more than adequate for jews. what pound line to use depends on the souroundings your fishing in eg structure or anything else the fish can tag u on and let itself free.

goodluck with your jewy adventures.

p.s make sure u take alot of PATIENTS with u. :1prop:

cheers hamerz.

yeh mate,

would a 4-6kg rod be ok or should i use 5-7kg or higher???

either should be fine depends on the what size reel and what pound line u using. if ur gonna use 50pd i'd probably go the 5-7kg especially if theres a good chance ur gonna hook a 20kg fish or there abouts.

I wont get a 24kg rod but i might consider 10kg plus. The chance of hooking a 20kg monster is probably unlikely. Most will be probably 4-10kg. There are definitely big fish there. I'm using 50lb line and do you have any suggestions on which reel will be good???

Tom

I wont get a 24kg rod but i might consider 10kg plus. The chance of hooking a 20kg monster is probably unlikely. Most will be probably 4-10kg. There are definitely big fish there. I'm using 50lb line and do you have any suggestions on which reel will be good???

Tom

youve selected pretty much all the suitable reels in a price range,

any of them will do the job for you mate, i have had a baitrunner for many years without any probs,

depends what rod you end up getting, see what reel feels best weighted to the rod,

I didn't realise but the rod i have been having in mind which is in the garage is a silstar 8kg rod. I might stick to it. Its 7 foot long and seems pretty sturdy. The man who i bought it from reckoned it could take kingies no problem. Does this still apply for jewies. Any suggestions on which reel would be great. I think im leaning towards the Abu Soron STX or Shimano Baitrunner.

Tom