What Is The Best Way To Clean A Fibreglass Deck

olitay

Hey Raiders, Im wondering if anyone has a favourite method for cleaning fibreglass decks. No matter how much i scrub mine with soap and water it never looks good enough, small stains, small rust spots from ss contact, etc etc.

Can you use bleach? a mate recommended Once of Bam? I purchased some great rust stain remover that has worked wonders on the spot stains but im just looking for a good way to clean the deck!

I have tried:

Soap and mater.

De-greaser and water

And it just aint good enough.

Any Suggestions?

bleach works great

Gets rid of every thing just dont get it on your clothes

But for me I just got some astroturf and covered my floor

Out of sight out of mind ha

Onya Simo, bleach it is then fella. Will be nice and shiney for the next time we cover it in kingfish blood. :)

once a year I give the boat a good going over with a mild detergent and then rub on a wax to protect the gelcoat and bring back the shine.

if you are trying to restore a faded or stained patch of gelcoat you can polish back the surface a bit then wax to coat.

non-skid grip in fibreglass decks (mine has this) is a pain to keep clean. other than a brush with bristles or the old karcher I dunno how else to try and keep this clean. I did have the boat detailed once - cost $600 bucks - but she looked better than coming out of the showroom.. those professional cleaners definitely have a few tricks up their sleeves. still would rather spend the $$ on fuel and keep her clean myself.

for any alloy grab rails/rocket launcher I rub down with a rag and metho or when we come in just a chammy soaked in a bit of fresh water to take off the salt.

hope this helps mate.

Cheers Andy, those non skid decks really do get grubby!. Ill give it a go.

Cheers Andy, those non skid decks really do get grubby!. Ill give it a go.

Billy

i purchased a honda 4 stroke high pressure washer and it does a great job of removing stains from my haines. Trick is to apply a degreaser first and allow to sit for 5 minutes than hose off. i must admit i have still got squid staines that i can't remove.... the neighbours will know when your using your washer its loud

cheers

Alby

p.s when is your next import boat installment

starbrite sell a non skid deck cleaner that works well, but it is also very good at taking polish off too so try not to splash it around to much

Edited by Whaler 255

Acid Cleaner, might be hard to get a hold of. You can get it from bulk detailing suppliers for about $25 - 5 litre concentrate.

You have to be very very careful with it though, and dont get it on anything other then fibreglass, it will remove all stains and rust spots with barely any rubbing, thats what a lot of boat detailers use. :biggrin2:

Before you get all chemically try a simple paste of bicarb of soda and water and a scrubbing brush for the floor. Same mix on a soft cloth is an amazing scratch free cleaner for fibreglass tops/hulls. Just hose off well and re-polish with a fine polish if you want a shine. Cleaned some marks of my white hull that no other cleaner would work on.

C.