Trolling Tip

camb1988

Hey raiders am only relatively new to lure fishing and as I've just got myself a 14ft tinny in which I can troll I was wanting any tips on the best ways to troll and or places to troll in the harbor or pittwater. Will primarily be chasing bonnito salmon and rat kings on light gear. Just picked up a couple of the smaller x raps diving around 6 ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey raiders am only relatively new to lure fishing and as I've just got myself a 14ft tinny in which I can troll I was wanting any tips on the best ways to troll and or places to troll in the harbor or pittwater. Will primarily be chasing bonnito salmon and rat kings on light gear. Just picked up a couple of the smaller x raps diving around 6 ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Awesome! troll around the corner of north head. Ive caught bonnito, and rats on that spot on light gear which is mad fun. Trolling your x - raps around there will be perfect.

Jono

I agree with brett ive got much more fish with skirts then x-raps. But recently ive had alot of success with lively lures in mack bait colour which can by troll with the skirts as they have no bib. Try trolling a small slug for variety, with them 3 ive had a bad days fishing turned into a decent one.

Edited by Little Hooker

do you guys use a sinker with you lures, i tried trolling once and was going around about 5 knots with a diving lure ( the one with the lip on a angle at the front. I had 20 pound line on aswell but discovered that the lure was bouncing along the surface. Can someone please give any tips on rigging up a rod for trolling.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

You are definitely on the right track. Skirts work well, if you can afford one get a 'magoo'. They simply love them and they are most durable and don't rip. Get onto CD 9's and 18's more so than your Xraps, I would say for me they would have a 10 to 1 fish ratio on my boat. Halco laser pros and scorpions do the trick in a large swell as they head to 10m in the water column and will avoid that 'breaching' of your lure. I would always have 4inch or 9inch Sluggos with you, they are ideal just behind the prop and do have a lot of success.

Hope this helps and enjoy getting out there!!!!

Cheers for all the help guys. Managed to get out 3 times in the past two weeks and have landed loads of bonito and a new pb salmon for me at 65cm all around middle head. Found a few rat kings amongst a school of bonito today and had a few chases on poppers but still haven't broken my Kingy duck. Anyone have any king specific lures that work for them?

All great advice...Don't forget your boat is your biggest lure!! So don't 'run' your lures to far back, 20 to 25 metres at the most. Also put one right in the prop wash only 5 metres back. Kingys love the prop wash!!!! Get hold of some Pakula Micro Uzi's they are deadly. The lumo green & the purple are cracker.

Mr m00d.........Check the towing points on your lures make sure they are straight. More important on tow points that are on the lure body not on the bib!!!!

Edited by hotbite