Thoughts On Iphone Applications

acortilla

Hello Raiders.

I recently got myself an iPhone and was pleased to find quite a few handy applications available for fisher folk such as moon and tide charts, weather reports etc... One in particular is a fishing calendar very similar to an almanac. It displays expected successful fishing days in a month or week view, then as a day view it shows peak fishing times as a sort of graphical representation of success v time. I believe the application itself only takes in to account moon cycles and where they coincide with dawn and dusk periods, not weather conditions etc..

I have a friend who swears by the same application and says it has been pretty spot on whenever he goes fishing. I myself have my doubts.

One good thing I have found with the application is you can store very good information on your catches. Date, time, bait, where, weather conditions etc..

I was interested to hear other peoples views on such applications. Has anyone else found them useful, accurate or is the best plan to just get out there and fish?

I have found that iPhone app really works in middle harbor...but then again I usually fish evening through to after dark and it does seem to get quiet after the peak time mentioned in the app...but then again some times it doesn't...I mainly use it for a diary

Cheers Leo

I dont personaly have an IPhone (work supplied everyone else with one but apparently my record of destroying technology precluded me from getting one :mad3:).

But one of the apps that i have seen is an electronic fishing diary that looks great. Stores a photo of your catch along with all the details very simply

Dave

Hello Raiders.

I recently got myself an iPhone and was pleased to find quite a few handy applications available for fisher folk such as moon and tide charts, weather reports etc... One in particular is a fishing calendar very similar to an almanac. It displays expected successful fishing days in a month or week view, then as a day view it shows peak fishing times as a sort of graphical representation of success v time. I believe the application itself only takes in to account moon cycles and where they coincide with dawn and dusk periods, not weather conditions etc..

I have a friend who swears by the same application and says it has been pretty spot on whenever he goes fishing. I myself have my doubts.

One good thing I have found with the application is you can store very good information on your catches. Date, time, bait, where, weather conditions etc..

I was interested to hear other peoples views on such applications. Has anyone else found them useful, accurate or is the best plan to just get out there and fish?

Hi I have one of the fishing calendars but I don't think it is very good. The best thing I have is a navionics map. It shows depths in feet, meters or fathoms. It shows your speed, you can save gps marks. if you find a productive spot you can mark it so you can go back to it. It shows your trip and drift patterns so you can set your drift over pinnacles/holes. You can can also take landmark photos as a point of reference. I never leave home without it.