Downrigger Bomb & Sounder Theory

bcooper21003

Guys,

Does anyone have experience with different bombs on their sonder?

Last weekend i lost my bomb to a 1m shark while it was hanging off the back of the boat. He took an interest in it, and in doing so he clipped the briad, sending the bomb to the bottom pretty swiftly. :mad3:

So, I have a Lowrance Mark 5x Pro, which has 83 & 200Hz. The bomb i had was relatively spherical, 8lb, with a fin at the back. It was easy to identify on the 83Hz sounder at most speeds, but when the water is dirty its hard.

The bomb i want is the flat pancake style,also in 8lb.

I wonder, will the pancake show up more or less on the sounder. It will have more depth, but be narrower from the sounders perspective.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

G'day mate

I run 2 downriggers on my boat. One side has a cannonball bomb the other has a pancake. Whilst the ball has more blowback the sounder does seem to pick it up easier than the pancake one. It will still pick up the pancake but it doesn't seem to do it quite as easy.

Others might say different but those are my observations.

Guest Aussie007

i have only used a 4lb ball and 8lb fish both are picked up on the fish finder in shallow water around 20ft or less anymore depth it gets sketchy only showing sometimes

Guest Aussie007

Thanks Jim77 / gazza,

I've ordered the 8 pancake, let's see what happens...

let me know if u get less blow back with the pan cake weight i may upgrade

Will do, I have to say though, on my one successful day of downrigger fishing we only caught fish trolling at 1knot, 2 knots being too fast. At 1 knot there was close to zero blowback.

At 5 knots blowback on the old ball was fairly huge, so will run a test with pancake...