Live Bait Rigs!

rjc123

Hey guys.

Before heading up to hawksnest i was planning on catching a few yakkas, mullet an slimies at balmoral to take up. I'm targeting jews mainly. What are the best rigs to catch live bait?? I desperately need to know what sort of rig i would use for fishing for jews ff a wharf at night under a bridge! Any help would be fantastic:)

To catch yakkas just get yourself a light handline (6-10lb line) and a size 12 longshank hook, and either fish it unweighted or with a really small split shot. Use a small slither of pillie or chicken for bait.

Others may suggest using a sabiki rig - they will work but they are often a pain in the arse as they get tangled easily and you spend more time untangling them than you do catching bait! They are also far more expensive than a handline and single hook!

Once you get good at it you will catch plenty of yakkas quickly and efficiently using this method.

As for catching slimies in Sydney... I'm not the one to ask as i suck at it. Anywhere else they are easy and almost jump in your boat but slimies in Sydney... ranting2.gif

Good luck

Agree with Jim, Slimies in the harbour are hard. Sometimes (rarely) you will find them in your berley trail at Balmoral or the Wedding Cakes. Are you LB only? That knocks out Wedding cakes if you are, but if you do have a boat sound out some bait schools around south head and drop a bait jig down, some times you may get lucky!

As for Mullet, head upstream from Roseville Bridge or any of the coastal lagoons with some bread, berley them up and then fish a small hook under a float. You can also use the plastic bottle trap which is a clear plastic bottle with a small square cut in the side, fill it with bread and some rocks and leave it in an area where you have berleyed up some mullet and come back in an hour and you should have a few