Matching A Rod To A Reel?

rjc123

Hey guys,

I'm getting a Daiwa Exceler DA Saltwater HD 6500. I have a Silstar Crystal Pro 7ft rod. Its a 8kg rod and i reckon it can handle jewies. Does anyone no how to figure out how to match them or does anyone know if they would fit together.

Tom

I haven't seen or held the reel in question so ill speak generally and from the specs i just quickly searched.

In my opinion the 2 biggest things to consider when matching a rod and reel are if they feel balanced in your hand and is the rod designed to handle the pressure that you intend on fishing with your reel. If the outfit you are talking about is for jewies and small kings then i would say your rod is ok. I have a 7foot 6-10kg crystal blue that i fish with a 6500 baitrunner with 30lb braid. This balance works but i could probably get away with a smaller reel and the outfit would feel lighter and more balanced in the hand. My baitrunner has an upgraded drag and would fish up to about 7kg drag at best, I wouldn't want to put too much more grief on my 6-10kg than that.

In your case i think the 6500 reel you are looking at claims to put out up to 15kg drag pressure which i dont think your rod could do justice. The 4500 size in the same model reel you are looking at appears to put out 10kg drag,have sufficient line capacity in the classes you would probably be using and is almost 200g lighter than the 6500. As i mentioned I haven't seen or held these reels you are talking about but just based on specs my vote would be for the 4500 if you want that model.

thanks,

The reel is intended for Jewies, Kings and maybe even for a few trips to Cape York. Could the 4500 reel hold 50lb braid??

The specs said that the 4500 holds 300m of PE4 (40lb braid), so it would take 50lb but probably not quite as much but probably still enough. I've never been to Cape York and it depends what fish you are using it for up there. I would imagine that the 4500 should be big enough for the fish you are targetting and will be lighter and much nicer in the hand.

If you really want a bigger outfit and want the 6500 i would seriously consider a heavier rod (at least 10-15kg or maybe 15-24kg) so you can fish the reel to its potential.

i might just stick to the 4500 size. Thanks mate :thumbup:

No probs, hope it works out.

Something that doesn't hurt and can help in a decision is to take the rod you intend to match the new reel with into the shop and actually put the reel in question on the exact rod it will be partnered with. This gives you a better idea of how it will feel as a combo before you buy it because they often sit and balance differently in your hand when all setup. Also make sure the reel seat fits nicely and securely into the reel mount on the rod if there is a possibility that they may not be compatible from a size point of view. This is very important when you intend on maxing out your fishing gear on kings.

I have 2 Silstar Crystal Blue 6-10 kg rods and 3 Crystal Pro 6-10Kg, 2 have 8000D baitrunners 3 have 4500 baitrunners,,, my 6-8kg Crystal blues have a 6000D baitrunner and a Pflueger 7640SS reel,, my 3-6kg crystal blues and pro have a 4000D baitrunner and an Okuma Salina 40.