Port Stephens

budzsta

Hey All,

So im heading to Port Stephens over on friday morning till monday afternoon.

The plan is to hire a boat for sunday and fish off the shore the remaining times, I think we will throw in some sleep here and there haha.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on some good areas to fish and with what sort of jigs/bait.

Thanks heaps

Will

Hey Tom,

I will be staying right near the Nelsons Bay Marina.

I will have a car though so dont mind driving around.

I have never been before and am also worried about all the fishing restrictions up that way.

I just went to a shop to take a look at some rods and tackle even though I already have quite a lot.

I suppose I am just getting excited.

We are planning on hiring a small boat for one of the days, dont think it can handle off shore, but might go alright in the bay.

Thanks again,

Will

Edited by Fezza
non sponsor removed

Hi Will,

I'm no expert for the bay but if you travel over to Hawkesnest and Tea Gardens i can definitely help. The Nelson Bay Breakwall produces big bream and Mulloway. Mullet for bream and livies for jewies. Ficking plastics around Shoal Bay can get some good flatties. When you come over to the myall river at Tea Gardens there are countless places to fish. You can fish in the channel near the mouth with prawns or livies for bream, Flathead, Whiting, Jewies and Tailor. a bit further in from the mouth in the middle of the river there is a snaggy area that is visible at low tide. Fish with lures for bream and fish with prawns for Bream, Flathead and Whiting. Down At the singing bridge anchor for bream, Jewies and flathead. If you are willing to travel by car to tea gardens then try the wharf at night under the singng bridge for massive bream and 20kg plus jewies. Im up there in a few weeks and will definitely fish for jewies at night. Also, make sure you try one of the offshore fishng charters that leave or pick up from nelson bay. They take you out to Broughton island to fish for Big Snapper, Jewies, Flatties, Morwong, Leatherjackets, trag, pearl perch and much more.

Tom

Tomaree headland is definitely the best place for yakkas, slimies and other baitfish. most of the headlands would have them but giive tomaree a go. its usually not too rough and you should be able to take the tinny there.

Tom