Vancouver Island Chinook

matt floor

Before setting out on a permenant vacation in my wife's home town on Vancouver Island Canada, it was my personal goal to catch a big chinook. Alot of hard learning went into this baby caught on a frozen anchovy inside a new bullet roll teaser head spinning behind a green flasher.....does that all make sense to you guys? Great fish here on the island but give me a beach rod a few worms and i'd rather be chasing some whiting any day!! headin back in January and can't wait....see you at one of Sydneys great northern beaches. Matt

post-16700-042823400 1292475462_thumb.jpg

Before setting out on a permenant vacation in my wife's home town on Vancouver Island Canada, it was my personal goal to catch a big chinook. Alot of hard learning went into this baby caught on a frozen anchovy inside a new bullet roll teaser head spinning behind a green flasher.....does that all make sense to you guys? Great fish here on the island but give me a beach rod a few worms and i'd rather be chasing some whiting any day!! headin back in January and can't wait....see you at one of Sydneys great northern beaches. Matt

Have you checked out the crabs yet.Vancover Island is famous for them.Dive off the beach,return to campsite and cook,yum!!

Good to hear report from so far away. Funny lingo there - I guess that just mean $150 for lead plastic bags and hooks? Nice fish though and I reckon it would worth it. Being Asian, please don't mind me asking - how did it taste like?

Haven't got a pic of the rig....basically insert an anchovy into a plastic head piece pinned through the eye.As for the flasher google flasher it's probably easier to explain that way. It's an interesting method and I honestly think it would work on a down rigger in OZ the method is basically designed to imitate a small school of fish and the one with the hook in it is at the back if the school, a little wounded i think is the concept....clever none the less....Crabs here are awesome and easy to catch once you know how.... best tasting in the world are the dungeness.... as for the chinook it is also the best salmon to eat. Give me whiting any day though.

google flasher

If they just Google the word flasher I'm sure they'd end up with an eyeful of the wrong kind! :074:

So may I suggest a Google search for "Fishing Flasher" instead?

Cracker Chinook there mate though, I'm planning on trying to head over there in early 2012 to visit friends and get into the fishing... I can only hope I get something half that size!

Haven't got a pic of the rig....basically insert an anchovy into a plastic head piece pinned through the eye.As for the flasher google flasher it's probably easier to explain that way. It's an interesting method and I honestly think it would work on a down rigger in OZ the method is basically designed to imitate a small school of fish and the one with the hook in it is at the back if the school, a little wounded i think is the concept....clever none the less....Crabs here are awesome and easy to catch once you know how.... best tasting in the world are the dungeness.... as for the chinook it is also the best salmon to eat. Give me whiting any day though.

Ive got a couple of uncles in North Van who know some of the locals[indians} and they are allowed to net the rivers,mate we had so much Salmon it was unreal.Fresh Indian smoked Salmon is probably the best fish Ive ever had.