Broken Bay, Broken Drag

davegroves68

Hi All.

Finally got out yesterday on an early start after a few weeks of boat troubles. We headed out from Taylors Point, Pittwater at about 5am with a stiff breeze blowing. Forecast said it would be flat though, so we headed out to West head to get some livies. Looks good there,, didn't even have to burley up to fill the new bait tank with mars bar size yakkas. A bit of a home made job with a small wheelie bin from a'very cheap auto'store.

We then head outside dropped anchor on a favourite spot. First up was a few sargent bakers,on pillies and one of them smashede a live yakka, i was quite surprised.

There was plenty of wind,no swell but no current and at anchor we could fish very light as the baits we going down vertical but then we tried a drift. The lines we going way out the back at a fast rate so i told Mark to pull his back in and we would try and anchor again. Thats when my yakka got smashed. After a few runs and a 5minute fight i landed a solid 86cm Kingy. My PB for Sydney :thumbup: I have caught bigger in NZ but this was all my own work.Its easy when you have a good charter skipper doing the hard work.post-10917-013366500 1292747526_thumb.jpgpost-10917-005383700 1292747556_thumb.jpg

We drop anchor again as close to that spot, but can't hold as the wind is blowing us off :wacko: . As i am pulling it up, Mark is shouting. He's on! It's big.He has my 24kg outfit but the drag wont tighten up fully :ranting2: .He gets smoked but i could see it was a much better fish.The 100lb leader got cut on the reef. Well over a metre I'd say.

So that reel is going in the bin :1badmood: Moral is this. Cheap gear = lost fish. :05:

The wind picked up even more by 11am so we headed back in.

At least i got a feed :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Not many other boats out either.

Dave

Good on ya Dave. At least you got a fish and got to tangle with a better one.

Any idea what water temps you had where you got the fish?

As to the gear - you often have to learn the hard way that cheap gear isn't really designed for hard and fast pulling Kings!

Good on ya Dave. At least you got a fish and got to tangle with a better one.

Any idea what water temps you had where you got the fish?

As to the gear - you often have to learn the hard way that cheap gear isn't really designed for hard and fast pulling Kings!

Still a bit cold Jim. pretty sure it was 20.0 degress

Hi All.

Finally got out yesterday on an early start after a few weeks of boat troubles. We headed out from Taylors Point, Pittwater at about 5am with a stiff breeze blowing. Forecast said it would be flat though, so we headed out to West head to get some livies. Looks good there,, didn't even have to burley up to fill the new bait tank with mars bar size yakkas. A bit of a home made job with a small wheelie bin from a'very cheap auto'store.

We then head outside dropped anchor on a favourite spot. First up was a few sargent bakers,on pillies and one of them smashede a live yakka, i was quite surprised.

There was plenty of wind,no swell but no current and at anchor we could fish very light as the baits we going down vertical but then we tried a drift. The lines we going way out the back at a fast rate so i told Mark to pull his back in and we would try and anchor again. Thats when my yakka got smashed. After a few runs and a 5minute fight i landed a solid 86cm Kingy. My PB for Sydney :thumbup: I have caught bigger in NZ but this was all my own work.Its easy when you have a good charter skipper doing the hard work.post-10917-013366500 1292747526_thumb.jpgpost-10917-005383700 1292747556_thumb.jpg

We drop anchor again as close to that spot, but can't hold as the wind is blowing us off :wacko: . As i am pulling it up, Mark is shouting. He's on! It's big.He has my 24kg outfit but the drag wont tighten up fully :ranting2: .He gets smoked but i could see it was a much better fish.The 100lb leader got cut on the reef. Well over a metre I'd say.

So that reel is going in the bin :1badmood: Moral is this. Cheap gear = lost fish. :05:

The wind picked up even more by 11am so we headed back in.

At least i got a feed :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Not many other boats out either.

Dave

well done

nice work mate you would of seen my hoon past you at some stage

we didnt have too much lucky today still was a nice day on the water

had a mates friend from germany in the boat so was good to show him around

Was that you going passed us at west reef? only boat we saw until we got back to the Joey.