Jigging Terrigal

jordan.widz

G'day Raiders,

Well after failing miserably at chasing kings in the harbour and Pittwater (landing only one amberjack over 3 trips) me and my dad decided to go back to what we know how to do... Jigging, so we can get some fish for christmas.

left the ramp at 6.00ish and got out to texas in no time with the flat seas. Jigged for ages only catching bloody barracudas untill we finally sounded a solid patch of kings at about mid water, so down go the jigs and sure enough half way through my retrieve a fat 76cm kingy decides to jump on my jig and within seconds of hooking up the charter boat is right beside us dropping down their livies... LOL

post-14559-076890000 1293098960_thumb.jpg

Anyway after giving that spot a good working over with livies and jigs the cudas had moved in and the kingys left. Kept heading south, bumped into a field of 15 or so fish traps, seen some dolphins, jigged the perch grounds, moved further south and found nothin at the cones either. So still only one king in the tank and by now our arms were pretty sore so we decided to call it a day and do a few passes of the terrigal fad on the way home to see if there were any dollies around... well there are but their tiny. Got one that went a whole 46cm ahahahahahaha how many hours old do you think that was. Anyway back she goes and we keep trolling in hope of something bigger but just see more tiny models jumping around the fad.

So that was our day out jigging, very slow but at least we got a feed.

Cheers,

Prawn Star

nice work

jigging out wide at terrigal is slowing right up

fished it last week and they didnt take to the jigs at all ended up ditching them and just nailed the perch instead

good to hear about the dollies showing up might be time to go check out some of the private fads :1fishing1:

nice work

jigging out wide at terrigal is slowing right up

fished it last week and they didnt take to the jigs at all ended up ditching them and just nailed the perch instead

good to hear about the dollies showing up might be time to go check out some of the private fads :1fishing1:

yeh i've heard plenty of reports of dollies down south but none up north so their starting up now i reckon and the big ones should be here soon. And how do you target the perch out there, they could be what were showing up on the sounder but not taking the jigs.

yeh i've heard plenty of reports of dollies down south but none up north so their starting up now i reckon and the big ones should be here soon. And how do you target the perch out there, they could be what were showing up on the sounder but not taking the jigs.

the perch will hold tight to the bottom we had them upto about 30mtrs off the bottom

slimey/yakka fillets on a paternoster rig did the damage

we marked good soundings of kings they just didnt want the jigs or the livies

A lot of work for one King - but well done you persisted and got yourself one.

The offshore reefs at this time of year are a bit hit and miss and its a long way and a lot of petrol if you go there and the Kings aren't there, which is more often than not.

You should persist with the harbour as there are far more Kings and bigger ones at that at this time of year.

Scout around at the likely spots and try on different states of the tide and sooner or later you will find them. Make a mental note of the time and state of tide - store it away in the back of your mind and then go there again the next time you're out and the tide is at the same state. After a while you will find a pattern and be able to locate them regularly...- or thats the plan anyway.