FNQ fishing

zen801

Hi Raiders,

Going to Palm Cove soon and thinking of taking a rod with me as 10 years ago when i was there a few people were catching some pretty descent fish from Palm Cove wharf. Anybody know an easy way that has been done and approved by airlines to take a rod? I have a small 2 piece i might take.

Ideas raiders?

Mike

Im currently in Vietnam at the moment and I bought over 3 rods. I put the rods in a rod tube. Just check with your airline what is the maximum height the rod tube can be. In my case i was travelling with jetstar and their maximum height for my rod tube was 1.7metres or something. The rod tube must be in your check in luggage, not carry on. There will be a special area where you can put your rod tube when checking in due to the height. I bought 3 rods, 3 reels, 2 boxes of lures and one box of hooks and swivels. Everything was alright.

I have been on 2 virgin flights with a rod tube they give you 5kgs of sport equipment free.The good thing when traveling with rods is you book in at the over size baggage counter which always has a small que.never had a problem. cheers Stephen ( Reggie the Rabbit)

I saved money on the rod tubes and just used 3" or 4" plumbing pipe with cap ends on it. Superglued one end on and gaffa taped the other end so it wouldn't come off. Cost me about $30 from memory.

It is worth checking the maximum length they'll allow though. Arguing with the baggage cops doesn't get you anywhere in my experience :biggrin2:

G'day zenman,

A solidly built rod tube is the go but you'll definitely need to talk to the airline... the light planes that service country locations usually have strict limits on both the overall weight of luggage but also the maximum length... and I do mean strict.

I went to Sesia a few years back and one guy couldn't bring one of his rod tubes becasue it was 7'2"... the limit was 7'!

Cheers, Slinky