Axle rust

adkel53

My trailer has a significant amount of surface rust on the axle. The rest is in good order. My thoughts are to remove the surface rust with a wire brush attached to a drill, treat with rust converter and the apply fishoil. I could possibly paint it with cold gal before the fishoil. Any thoughts from other Raiders?

cheers

Kel

I wouldnt worry to much about the cold gal..Prepare the surface as yu have said ..paint with a primmer/kill rust, allow to dry and set as per directions..Then paint with desired colour(2 coats) last coat with a hardener added.. :thumbup:

You could use the cold gal, however it is not as affective as the gal dip

Guest Aussie007

my axle,rims,U bolts were all rusted badly i used a nylon wheel on my grinder to remove all rust these things last yonks and only cost about $7 from hardware shops once all rust was removed i gave the rims (only parts i kept) a single coat with rust converter than two coats of black gloss kill rust paint two coats is all that is needed the pics show the before and after after 10 or more dips in salt water without trailer rinsing after use i also took the time to paint my new axle with the same kill rust brand paint as my axle is only the standard axle not gal and that to has no rust whatsoever on it either :thumbup:

post-3154-027967000 1296098213_thumb.jpg

post-3154-007165600 1296098221_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally settled on an alternative solution after speaking with an experienced boater and metal work teacher.

1. Remove wheels and axle.

2. Clean off rust with a "flapper disk" attached to an angle grinder.

3. Treat cleaned surfaces (axle and hubs) with a rust converter.

4. Paint with Silvershield (courtesy of my friend) - an ormonoid based paint with aluminium flakes in it. One coat applied this evening, another tomorrow.

5. Reassemble axle (after cleaning up the U bolts and getting some new washers). Will paint the bolts with Silvershield too.

6. Remove hubs and replace seals and bearings.

7. Put tyres back on.

8. Return boat to trailer from its position on the ground in my back yard.

Should be as good as new!!

I'm tempted to paint the entire trailer but it will be a very shiny silver colour and look a bit "spivvy" I think. Maybe it will dull with age.

Had a similar dilemma with an old trailer of mine. since you are going to the effort of removing the axle from the trailer, why not simply throw the old one out and replace it with a brand new gal one. i think i paid about $130 for mine and wont have too worry about cleaning rust off, painting it etc for many years to come. i did this and at the same time put new gal springs in as well (abt $70 a pair). My trailer is like a new one and i would not hesistate to do the same again.

of course the decision on what you are to do it entirely yours.

Cheers

Mick

I looked at all those options Mick. The axle cleaned up really well and two coats of Silvershield have it looking almost new. It is still very solid. The springs are galvanised and are still in very good condition. I'm a pretty keen environmentalist and don't believe in replacing things that can be made safe and serviceable with a bit of effort and elbow grease. I reckon we need to reduce, re -use and recycle where ever possible, providing safety is not compromised.

Kel

• 2 weeks later...

my axle,rims,U bolts were all rusted badly i used a nylon wheel on my grinder to remove all rust these things last yonks and only cost about $7 from hardware shops once all rust was removed i gave the rims (only parts i kept) a single coat with rust converter than two coats of black gloss kill rust paint two coats is all that is needed the pics show the before and after after 10 or more dips in salt water without trailer rinsing after use i also took the time to paint my new axle with the same kill rust brand paint as my axle is only the standard axle not gal and that to has no rust whatsoever on it either :thumbup:

What are these nylon wheels you speak off ?? they sound worth using, can ya post a picture of one.'

Guest Aussie007
What are these nylon wheels you speak off ?? they sound worth using, can ya post a picture of one.'
here is the pic i got mine from a hardware shop in the grinding section it has only lost the square edge other than that it looks new and i bought it a couple of years ago from memory and use it often also the sanding disc's with the layer over layer type work just as good if not better and last just as long

post-3154-069747900 1298448846_thumb.jpg