Bonnie in the Harbour

Kooks

Went fishing off my local wharf in the east this morning. Got there at 5am and stocked up on yakkas in no time flat. I think I have my technique sorted now. Thanks to the raiders that gave advice. So mucked around and chatted to a few fishos then chucked out a few livies at about 6 hoping to hook up a kingie. It wasn't long before I had hooked up. No kingie but a bonnie. Had a quick fight on my 14 pound braid and hauled him in via the leader. Had 3 other hits on the livies but no hook ups.

Question: If you are fishing with livies on floats when should you strike? (if i were trying catching bonnies/kingies)

I tried striking when the float went under but it didn't set then other times I waited longer hoping the bait would get swallowed but found myself getting baited. Any tips?

Well i'm hoping should focus on squidding instead of getting the yakkas.

post-12654-009935000 1296031930_thumb.jpeg

Question: If you are fishing with livies on floats when should you strike? (if i were trying catching bonnies/kingies)

I tried striking when the float went under but it didn't set then other times I waited longer hoping the bait would get swallowed but found myself getting baited. Any tips?

when fishing with a float, you usually have some slack line. So when the float goes down (it also depends on how fast it goes down), leave your rod bent facing the float until the line gets tight, the fish would hook itself, then strike (this is to mainly sink the hook in) and sometimes to muscle the fish if needed.

when fishing with a float, you usually have some slack line. So when the float goes down (it also depends on how fast it goes down), leave your rod bent facing the float until the line gets tight, the fish would hook itself, then strike (this is to mainly sink the hook in) and sometimes to muscle the fish if needed.

Cheers elite...I usually have the drag set low so I don't lose my rod. I might need to sort something out so I don't lose them.

nice catch there kooks - as per my message I don't think I've got it down yet either.

A remarkable amount of my strikes end up coming back looking like this:

post-12244-050583400 1296111269_thumb.gif

Anyhow - let me know if you want to go out & try sometime - happy to meet you at the wharf.