squid

paul1616

hi raders i amd hedding out this saturday for a fish in the bay was hope to try and catch some squid for lkiove bait or strip bait iv tryed a couple of time with no luck i been useing squid jigs. Where am i more likly to catch soom.Any help would be great i should be hiitng the bay at about 5:30 i be in a 4.25m ally reel mate hope too see somne of use out there. paul cheers

Hi Paul

I'm not a boaty (at least not in Botany Bay) so not sure of the exact locations, other than Bare Island (which everyone knows and which is therefore fished pretty hard for squid). But you basically need to look for kelp/weed beds in any depth of water and fish your jigs about 1 - 4 feet above them. If you're not occasionally getting caught up in the weed you're not fishing deep enough.

I will say this though - today, tomorrow and Friday are pretty much the best squidding conditions you will ever see. I do a lot of shore based squidding around Sydney and hot, calm weather with a new moon and minor high-tide just on dusk is pretty much perfect for squidding. Anyone with the means to get down to a weed-bed between 6:30 and 9:00pm on any of these nights should be rewarded with a reasonably good haul.

I'll be visiting one of my spots tonight in the hope of scoring a few greenies and will let you know how I go.

Oh - and make sure you have decent jigs around the 2.5 size to ensure you give yourself the very best chance. Nothing under $15.

the wether has been great squiding wether and nothing beats those yamashita warm jacket squid jigs if your our early paul try captain cook bridge just find the weed beds near the pontoon and the squid should be there or the hot water outlet iv got a few there

LOL - I should know better than to go out so hard and claim "perfect" squidding conditions - went down last night and actually had a very hard time raising squid in my regular spots. And just to complete the irony I ended up at Bare Island where I pulled in four in quick succession (one was an absolute stonker).

Paul, if you're fishing at Cape Banks then all the little bays and headlands on the Northern shoreline past Molli point will hold squid when the conditions are right (including, obviously, Bare Island) - I've caught squid in all of them. They all have broken weed/kelp beds and plenty of cover for feeding squid. Don't be afraid to cast your lure right up to the shoreline as the squid are often right at the edge. Use light line to maximise strikes (I use a 3lb braid w/ 6lb leader - although that's probably lighter than you need to go), and a sharp 'tap' is also often necessary once you feel the squid's weight to make sure the jig-spikes embed in the squid's tentacles.

The other thing I forgot to mention was wind: squid hate wind and you won't catch many when there is chop on the water surface. That's another reason why the bays from Bare Island out to Cape banks are good - they are protected from the nor-easter and are usually quite calm.

Oh, and Tunastrick: "That other guy"!!? Come on - my name was attached to my post!