How many of you still use...

anw0625

• 3 weeks later...

I retired my US made 8500ss about 6 months back, it served me well for about 10 years, caught me sharks, Kings, Jews... I now run a Saragosa 8000 with 50lb.

My SS gets loaned to friends who chase kings with me but don't have a reel to suit, the drag pressure spikes a little when you're on a good king but it still does the trick.

I jus gave my 8500 (usa) to my mate as he uses it to rock fish alot. The penn doesnt get much use on the boat as i find them tag heavy and unbalance compares to the new reels. But to give them credit they are solid reel which caught be decent fish back in my younger days of rock fishing.

• 4 weeks later...

How many of you guys still use the old penn 650ss, 750ss, 850ss, 6500ss, 7500ss, 8500ss and 95000ss? What type of fishing do you with them? What line do you have on them? Thanks, Andrew

I have a 750ss loaded up with 50lb braid (thin diameter) - large hard body toy. I remember a time when most of the reels you'd see in fishing mags back in the 90's were Penn spinfishers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit of a sucker for the old penn spinfishers, i have the 450, 550 650 750 and 850ss, have bought a few for spares since they're not made anymore. Great reel, pulled my old mans one apart a few months ago just out of curiosity and all the grease inside was like concrete. Funny thing was you couldn't tell if you were using it. One of the true great reels ever made in my opinion when things were built to last.

Cheers

Pete.