Nepean River.

shred

Hi all going for the first fish in a few years, i live in emu plains so was thinking of going down to the river, got a few spots in mind up near emu heights 4wd track and down from lapstone station, ill be going with a few mates and we dont have a boat so it will be all from the banks.

Just wondering if anyone had any more spots or tips or an idea of which baits and/or lures to use, any help is greatly appreciated, shane :)

I've had a lot of success on soft plastics for Bass up there, but I'd suggest you be ready to cover a bit of ground to find them. You'll have to be sneaky stealthy not to spook them from the bank.

Usually we're up past Rocky Island a few kilometres in a boat. It does look like pretty rough territory to try on foot though.

Cheers mate any idea on color or style of the plastics? Yeah we were thinking about having a go off rocky island where it meets the gorge or something. Not really to fussed just keen to get back into fishing. Not neccesarily after bass, just after a good time!

Near as I know its either Bass, Eels or Catfish up there. Eels are easy, tie a junk of meat with a hook in it to a strong bit of string, throw it in the river over night. Wait til morning and pull in a feed :)

SP colours I use are the Nuclear Chicken red/green ones with the waggle tails, but you could try almost any colour really. Lighter colours seem to work better than dark in my experience but I'm no Bass pro. Insect, worm, or froggy type patterns work I'm sure. 2"-3" sizes seem to work best, your not catching marlin :)

Bass'll take hard body lures too if you prefer them.

Just remember Bass are usually under cover near weeds/reeds or overhangs in the bank, or big rocks and logs or fallen trees. They like cover to ambush prey from, but they'll also sit in deep holes waiting for prey to swim above them too.

Cheers for the help mate were gonna head down tomorrow see how we go! Will hopefully be reporting back good news. Got a surface lure that came with a fishing mag yesterday, looks pretty decent so might give that a try. Also got a fair few assorted sp's and gonna pick up some worms bread and corn so hopefully with all that ammunition well get at least one haha

Went down to rocky island Friday, caught 3 miniature bass about as long as my hand off the popper I got with a magazine, was only there for 2 hours but we saw alot of fish jumping about and had a few nibbles but nothing too decent, not sure what I was doing wrong, but hopefully next time we can hook something that will have a bit of a go! Haha it was still fun and am def lookin forward to doing it again.