Port Kembla Live Bait

cut_loose

Guest Aussie007

u can get yakkas at the end of the break wall burley hard u will end up with alot of sweep as well the sweep were there in force last year mixed in with the yakkas and u need to be right in close to the break wall the yakkas often feed on top of the break wall rocks that are submerged in water 100-200mls if your going for kingys they should be there by now u can find them off the south break wall 10-11 o'clock off the point we have caught them in close and out far at mixed depths from 15-40 foot deep there are some big kingys there most common sizes last year were around the 70-75cm did end up with a 81-82cm from what my cousin mentioned keep in mind we were catching the kingys around march april if there not at port kembla this year try bass point ive also caught a small amber jack and nice salmon as a bi catch at port kembla i have pics of all the fish :biggrin2:

Edited by gazza

The Rats are already hanging around Port Kembla, have caught a few off Hill 60 and the south break wall. Don't have a boat so unable to chase the bigger ones :D

As for Yakkas, you can pretty much catch them all along the break wall or over by the jetties, have never had any problems getting yakkas.

Guest Aussie007

i seen some headlands out from the steel works looks crazy for jigging for kings

the 1 hour 20min drive from sydney is bloody worth it and u only have to go 1km to the end of the break wall for nice kingys and we have ventured out around the islands landing big bonito on rapalas all these fish were caught around march april last year on frozen bought squid all caught within 30 meters of the south break wall point on the downrigger we were going for kingys so the salmon and amber jack were a bi catch and the best thing about it is u have the place pretty much to your self at anyone time ive been there i have only had 2 other boats around me and one of those boats were another fish raider member :thumbup:

post-3154-059257900 1297718836_thumb.jpg

post-3154-057875200 1297718844_thumb.jpg

post-3154-080513600 1297718854_thumb.jpg

the 1 hour 20min drive from sydney is bloody worth it and u only have to go 1km to the end of the break wall for nice kingys and we have ventured out around the islands landing big bonito on rapalas all these fish were caught around march april last year on frozen bought squid all caught within 30 meters of the south break wall point on the downrigger we were going for kingys so the salmon and amber jack were a bi catch and the best thing about it is u have the place pretty much to your self at anyone time ive been there i have only had 2 other boats around me and one of those boats were another fish raider member :thumbup:

Awesome gazza im guna giv it a go! i always fish from the break wall there but so many people go there it gets too packeed. definately guna bring my boat up there. so where do u land your boat to get there gazza?

Guest Aussie007

Awesome gazza im guna giv it a go! i always fish from the break wall there but so many people go there it gets too packeed. definately guna bring my boat up there. so where do u land your boat to get there gazza?

your very right mate i was fishing there one night and a guy tried telling me not to chuck my line out like he owned the break wall despite him i chucked out my line and hooked a decent tailor strait away you can put your boat in at the port kembla boat ramp goto www.whereis.com type in "boat ramp" and "port kembla nsw" the boat ramp is on foreshore drive in port kembla for this spot u really need to pick good days mostly mornings when the wind is low when it is choppy its horrible the swell is somewhat tolerable i have sat out there in a 3.75m tinny in 1.5m swell with no chop other days ive been out there in the same boat with a lot of chop and it feels really awful and unsafe however the break wall provides a lot of shelter if the weather turns to crap duck in behind it but to get the kingys u have to venture past the break wall point :1yikes::biggrin2:

Land = Launch? I need to get me a boat so i can start learning Boat Jargon :D

Pred, if you've been to the tip of the southern breakwall then you know where you get on and off the wall. There's a boat ramp right there with ample parking.

Lungfai are we talking about the same place? im talking about entering the steelworks and fishing next to the coal refinery, if so thats awesome mate cheers for the info. yeh Gazza i went there one time and these guys kept casting straight over the top of me. dad was guna go harry on them but he remembered why he was there...for the FISH LOL. yeh mate that could be rough going in a small tinnie. i see some people go right close to the beach next to that oil pipe thing looks pretty good for jews. i also get some major salmon there and got smashed by a good ray aswell. Gazza we should organise an out there on my boat : ) Lungfai u keen

Looks like we talking about the opposite breakwalls :D

The one at the Coal Terminal is what the locals call the Northern Breakwall (Corrimal Side) and the boat ramp for that one was further into the now no go zone. Used to be able to catch monster sized fish in there due to the warm water caused by the steel works. Don't think you are allowed in there anymore due to the Port becoming the new Car Wharf.

However you can still access the Harbour via the Southern Break Wall.

To get there you head towards Port Kembla Train Station (Old Port Road). At the Roundabout head towards the Jetty (Foreshore Road) and continue straight down that road, past the Water Rats Office and hey presto you come upon the Boat Ramp. From there you can launch and head on over to the Coal Terminals/Steelworks but i am not too sure if they like us fishos going in there :)

But the Harbour is a sweet spot to Fish, Jews, Tailors Bonnies and Kingy Rats when they are on the Prowl.

Edit : Been checking the wind and weather and looks like Saturday is looking to be a nice fishing day....hopefully the anchor lets me off and i can go wet the line :D

Trung

Edited by LungFai