king fish rig

blacklabel

Hey all hope all is well

im only new to this but i have been reading a fair bit and the forum looks unreal

i just wanted to ask and know what would be the best style of rig for a king fish, sinker size, hook size, line strength and best knot.

the reason i ask is for some reason everytime i hook on a kingy i seem to never be able to bring it up fight with it for probably 2 minutes and bang gone :( if i can get a few tips that would be great. Final question also is two hooks better than single or would just a single hook do for those big ones

thanks guys

Guest Aussie007

i personally use mustad hoodlum hooks for kingys just because the thickness of the hook and there very sharp best way to catch a kingy is unweighted

it depends on where you're fishing (land based? boat?), what baits / lures you're using etc

i do alot of boat fishing normally botany or the harbour if i can get some recommendation on those two areas that would be awsome

and thanks for the feedback guys

Guest Aussie007

botany bay mol point and the drums are the most fished spots for kings if u go out on a calm day venture just outside of south head in botany bay look for 20 foot of water last year we caught a few 85cm kings there but conditions need to be good and u need someone driving at all times as u get close to the breaking wave

botany bay mol point and the drums are the most fished spots for kings if u go out on a calm day venture just outside of south head in botany bay look for 20 foot of water last year we caught a few 85cm kings there but conditions need to be good and u need someone driving at all times as u get close to the breaking wave

thanks for your feedback gazza il definately be trying those spots out now trying to get the right bait and gear i guess got the next 6 days off i think

il definately be doing at least 5 days of fishing :biggrin2:

Hey all hope all is well

im only new to this but i have been reading a fair bit and the forum looks unreal

i just wanted to ask and know what would be the best style of rig for a king fish, sinker size, hook size, line strength and best knot.

the reason i ask is for some reason everytime i hook on a kingy i seem to never be able to bring it up fight with it for probably 2 minutes and bang gone :( if i can get a few tips that would be great. Final question also is two hooks better than single or would just a single hook do for those big ones

thanks guys

mate my rig changes depending on a few conditions. bottom structure, school size, strategy (troll, lure, bait etc) current etc etc can have an impact but i personally like to keep it as simple as possible. have caught a few go size kings on 4lb bream rods. gear condition and set up is another issue you may wanna have a look at (drag setting etc) lost a few good kings on cracked rod tips.

Cheers

Dan