Stuburn bream

ibby01

Hi everybody,

Went fishing this morning up the parra river and found a patch of bream feeding of the side of the jetty in clear sight, so I threw everything I had at them and they did not strike at anything.. From resin jig heads with flick baits to sp.'s to lures to vibes nothing work can somebody ahead some light on this sitcho....

Hi there mate,

Get yourself some 2 inch Powerbait Grubs (see pic) on anything from 1/8th to 1/32 or ever un-weighted. They are by far my favourite Bream SP. Being a 2 inch lure you do get small fish but a 40cm+ Bream will smack it. If find the tail action great too, nice wriggle on the fall. They're a nice lazy mans lure as it doesn't take too much to get some action out of them, and with a bit of scent smeared on, fish will often pick it up off the bottom or have a second attempt.

Be prepared to lose tails (again see pic)

The water where you're fishing may have a but too much clarity, and the Bream are a little spooked.

Ghost blades, Switchblades, Chubby's, SX40's, StikePro Micro Vibes and Smiling Jack's in Gold Shrimp imitation are all proven Bream catchers, and I'd preference them in that order.

Mick

post-10586-059664800 1298712130_thumb.jpg

Were they already feeding in something? I've seen the same thing at Nelson bay. I tried everything including bait I used 4 lb line with a peeled prawn hook only they didn't even looke at it. They only moved when I put the prawn on their noses. I think when they find something to eat they don't care too much about anything else.

If the water is too clear and you can see the fish, they can also see you. Bream spook easy when they see shadows and movement move above the surface.

Try to stay out of site when fishing for them if possible, or throw the lure or bait a little deeper and they can swim down for it out of site.

Hi there mate,

Get yourself some 2 inch Powerbait Grubs (see pic) on anything from 1/8th to 1/32 or ever un-weighted. They are by far my favourite Bream SP. Being a 2 inch lure you do get small fish but a 40cm+ Bream will smack it. If find the tail action great too, nice wriggle on the fall. They're a nice lazy mans lure as it doesn't take too much to get some action out of them, and with a bit of scent smeared on, fish will often pick it up off the bottom or have a second attempt.

Be prepared to lose tails (again see pic)

The water where you're fishing may have a but too much clarity, and the Bream are a little spooked.

Ghost blades, Switchblades, Chubby's, SX40's, StikePro Micro Vibes and Smiling Jack's in Gold Shrimp imitation are all proven Bream catchers, and I'd preference them in that order.

Mick

post-10586-059664800 1298712130_thumb.jpg

thanks for the advice mick, not a big fan of the gulp sp's but i'll give them ago.

i was using squdies blood red wriggler in the pro series range with a 1/8th jig head and also switched to four pound trace and had no luck. but ill try the gulps and see how they go. :mad3:

Were they already feeding in something? I've seen the same thing at Nelson bay. I tried everything including bait I used 4 lb line with a peeled prawn hook only they didn't even looke at it. They only moved when I put the prawn on their noses. I think when they find something to eat they don't care too much about anything else.

Yeah they were feeding on the side of the jetty with there heads out of water and were not intrested in anything i sent their way.

thanks for the advice mick, not a big fan of the gulp sp's but i'll give them ago.

i was using squdies blood red wriggler in the pro series range with a 1/8th jig head and also switched to four pound trace and had no luck. but ill try the gulps and see how they go. :mad3:

Powerbaits are made by Berkley, but are in no way a Gulp. Powerbaits are Berkleys' range of proper plastics. When Gulps first come out, I was worried that Berkley would stop producing them... so I stocked up on about 20 packs of Grubs and Bass Minnows. Fortunately, they are still being sold :wacko:

I like Squidgy Wrigglers too but prefer Powerbait grubs. The Powerbait is stiffer and has more action/presence in the water IMO. I love S Factor, and never leave home without it.

Something that I've been doing of late is fishing a little heavier than most would in Jighead, about 1/8th - 1/12th in about 1-6 feet of water, staying in touch with the bottom longer and of course longer casts. You pick up more Flathead this way, but I'm getting good amounts of Bream too, about 5-10 in about 3-4 hours in the yak.

Powerbaits are made by Berkley, but are in no way a Gulp. Powerbaits are Berkleys' range of proper plastics. When Gulps first come out, I was worried that Berkley would stop producing them... so I stocked up on about 20 packs of Grubs and Bass Minnows. Fortunately, they are still being sold :wacko:

I like Squidgy Wrigglers too but prefer Powerbait grubs. The Powerbait is stiffer and has more action/presence in the water IMO. I love S Factor, and never leave home without it.

Something that I've been doing of late is fishing a little heavier than most would in Jighead, about 1/8th - 1/12th in about 1-6 feet of water, staying in touch with the bottom longer and of course longer casts. You pick up more Flathead this way, but I'm getting good amounts of Bream too, about 5-10 in about 3-4 hours in the yak.

oh ok i thought that they were pretty much the same as gulps, ill have to get some of those in my sp selection. i'm a massive fan of s factor aswell i put that on hard bodies to vibes the suff's awsome.... How agressive is your retrive when breaming, do you stick a slow wind and drop sort of thing or a wip wip retrive as you would for 'flats'

oh ok i thought that they were pretty much the same as gulps, ill have to get some of those in my sp selection. i'm a massive fan of s factor aswell i put that on hard bodies to vibes the suff's awsome.... How agressive is your retrive when breaming, do you stick a slow wind and drop sort of thing or a wip wip retrive as you would for 'flats'

For SP grubs very slow, just so the tail is working. I like to keep my lure as tight to the structure as possible, for as long as possible. I also like to cast parallel to the shoreline, and slowly hop the lure along.

I mix it up a little until I work out what's working on the day.

For SP grubs very slow, just so the tail is working. I like to keep my lure as tight to the structure as possible, for as long as possible. I also like to cast parallel to the shoreline, and slowly hop the lure along.

I mix it up a little until I work out what's working on the day.

cheers mick, talk soon. :thumbup::thumbup: