Mona Vale Beach---no fish

wchh

Fished 3 hours to 10:30 PM on Mona Vale beach last night and didn't even have a bite.

Last night the tide was low, no gutter and a lot of weed washed in at later stage. Matter of fact, I have had 4 fishing trips trips on the Northern Beaches in the last 2 months with the only fish caught a shark and an undersized flattie. I am wondering whether any other raider faished the beaches and had any happy experience.

Charles

Hi there,

I have been fishing from the beach a lot lately and have had success on my outings.

Garie beach, lots of salmon & tailors all on pillies.

Windang beach, have caught heaps of good size whitings on tube worms and have seen others catching bream, tailor & salmon. What I have learned from fishing at the beach is to be very mobile! I was fishing one gutter with very little activity then walked over to the next gutter (20 meters) and it was on fire! Hit every cast!

I was thinking of fishing Wanda beach, looking at the live surf cams, there seem to be some nice gutters about! Has anyone fished here before?

Phil

Hi,

Mate I haven't fished the beach for about 2years for the same reason. Have you tried long reef? We usually got results there near the lagoon entrance close to Dee why.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I usually fish the Mona Vale beach, Newport Beach with success. Just recently for about 3 months, the beaches are not delivering as well as it did before.

No, I have not tried Long reef yet, I may give it a shot next weekend.

Charles

Fished 3 hours to 10:30 PM on Mona Vale beach last night and didn't even have a bite.

Last night the tide was low, no gutter and a lot of weed washed in at later stage. Matter of fact, I have had 4 fishing trips trips on the Northern Beaches in the last 2 months with the only fish caught a shark and an undersized flattie. I am wondering whether any other raider faished the beaches and had any happy experience.

Charles

[/quote

I find April to May to be the pick of the months. Depends on what species you are after too....May fires for better than average Tailor. Last year I got some bonnies off the surf too which was a first for me...

The last few months have been tough, the weed set in at Collaroy, the currents have been raging over at Nth Narra.

Cheers,

S.

Hi ABCfisho,

I have been fishing beaches all summer and doing well. I only fish at dusk and normally at a high and not a low. Just buy some worms and #6 hooks and keep trying, you will get them soon.

The Poacher

Hi the Poacher,

Thanks for the tips. I occasional see people worming on the beaches at low tide, gee that takes practice. I have not been able to manage one myself. One day a fellow fisho gave me one to try the whitings. I had to close my eyes to grab the slippery/wiggling thing. Touching the worm gave me goose bumps ended me staying with my pillies.

I have not fished the beaches for long, just about 2 years. Due to some other commitments, work, family etc tide and time are rarely of my pick. I sqeeze time for fishing whenever I can and not complaining at all. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Charles

I've been down to dee why at high tide twice: once at night and once in the morning a week later.

the night session yielded 4 good-sized shark hook-ups on yakkas, evidently all bronze whalers.

the morning session yielded a shovel nose shark in the dark, and after sunrise, my pillies were getting nipped off by chopper tailor. I managed to land 3 keepers (great for dinner) and one undersized tailor. In contrast to most fish, the tailors had to be hit fast- they were so small that a bite of the pillie and they were happy...

both sessions would have been worth it even if I wasn't wetting a line. the beach is gorgeous - the water's warm, winds are generally calm, and the skies are clear, loads of dolphins, and oddly, there are still very few people about early and late.