BUYING A NEW BOAT - NEED HELP PLEASE?

ROB44X

Hi Guys, I am looking at buying a boat in the next week or so and have been looking since xmas. I have found a 6.1m aluminium plate boat with a 2007 115hp Evinrude etec 2 stroke on the back of it. Does anyone know anything bout this particular motor? Pros / Cons? Your help on this matter would be much appreciated. Cheers Rob.

Depending on your boating applications, you may find 115hp is not enough to power a 6.1m plate boat. If you are fishing off-shore regularly with a few mates that size engine would really be working hard for that boat.

With respect to e-tec engines... Personally I am a yamaha fan but i have a couple of mates who have e-tec engines and are very happy with them.

Fuel consumption wise they are basically on par with the 4-strokes.

E-tec engines require less servicing, although from a mechanical perspective i think this is more a case of evinrude pushing the boundaries a bit as both 4-stroke engines and e-tec engines require:

- Gear case oil to be replaced

- Fuel filters to be checked/changed

- Spark plugs to be changed

- Impellor to be changed

- General inspection of the engine

Additionally 4-stoke engins require an oil change and the replacement of the oil filter every 100hrs. I do this myself and the oil is still in excellent condition. I think this is a bit conservative on behalf of the manufacturers, think how often you would need to change engine oil in your car if it was 100hrs!!! However with an e-tec, you are required to use synthetic two-stroke oil (about $60 for 4 litres i think).

I have heard dealers comment on the differences in cost to repair major engine malfunctions as a selling point. I don't think much of this as a boat owner as you would think/hope with today's technology that major engine failure would moreso be a concern if you bought a lemon as opposed to something you should plan for.

If you like the boat and it performs well I would not let that particular engine stop you from getting it.

Edited by fishmaniac

Hi, good advise from the guys and as with anything second hand get a trained tech to give it a once over, but as for my opinion, and we service and sell all technologies, there is not a 115HP made that does everything as well asthe V4 E-TEC. It is a proven marine V4 design, it is clean, quiet and fuel efficinet like some technologies, but the torque and power is unmatched in the 115HP, clean or dirty. Also you can download the complete history of the engine from number of hours to how the engine has been driven and as oil, if set on the defult factory setting you DO NOT have to use so called expensive oil, but I would still use XD-100 because even though it costs about $15 more than cheap oil, the engine will use less and it is the best oil for it.

Make sure it is rigged and propped right and the fatcs are you see plenty of 30 years V4s still running around today.

Get the serial number and I can run it thru the system and see if anythintg pops up.

Cheers,

Huey.

WOW! THNX RAIDERS...U HAVE ALL BEEN A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE. I KNEW IT WOULD OPEN UP A DEBATE OF FORS AND AGAINST. I AM DEVOURING HE CAN OF WORMS AS I TYPE. A LOT OF FOOD FOR THOUGHT...TBFT COMP JUST AROUND THE CORNER...JUST FOR ADDED PRESSURE.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS...GOOD FISHING.

Rob,

I have a 2007 etech 115 on my rig, just had its first full service (3yrs) cost me $520.00

I love the thing, super reliable, cheap as chips to run and pushes my quinny 540 very nicely

I think fishmaniac is spot on, you may require some more grunt for a 6.1 plate.

Good luck mate, cheers :beersmile:

I have a 2006 Stessco 625 Shotgun 5mm Plate with a 2006 135HP Evinrude (not the Etec)it does 55-60km per hour with a full tank of fuel(200ltrs), the engine is a great match for my boat, as I really dont need to be travelling any faster,, but I dont think a motor any smaller would suffice..

I use approx 1 litre of fuel per 1km travelled, I normally travel flatout if i can (safely,,,, and hence the reason i dont need a bigger motor) im sure i could get a touch better fuel economy if i backed off a little,, maybe 1.5kms per litre of fuel.

My boat weighs approx 1500Kgs complete.... and just under 2000Kgs with the trailer,

My boat purrs like a cat but does seem to chew the 2 stroke oil (on calculation though it seems to be correct)

I use Valvoline HP 2 Stroke outboard oil,,, I think it is semi Synthetic?? I think it costs about $35 for 4 litres (I buy a box of 4 at a time)

Edited by idolz