Diamond Head/Kylies Beach

framedtrash

Afternoon

heading to Diamond Head/Kylies Beach friday for a long weekend of fishing with some mates

just after some tips,spots to help put some fish on the table

will be fishing off the stones and beach no boat sadly

what are we likely to encounter there and what kind of gear should i be taking

mates are talking jewies but they talk alot of s@#t so no trust there

thanks in advance for any help

Afternoon

heading to Diamond Head/Kylies Beach friday for a long weekend of fishing with some mates

just after some tips,spots to help put some fish on the table

will be fishing off the stones and beach no boat sadly

what are we likely to encounter there and what kind of gear should i be taking

mates are talking jewies but they talk alot of s@#t so no trust there

thanks in advance for any help

Hi Frame

Umm just got back from up that way last week. I was at Harrington-Crowdy Head which is virtualy the same place, i cant talk for the beach itself but i seen quite a few school caught of the beach end of the Harrington Breakwall. They were getting them early to mid morning on Live herring as well as soft plastics.Soft plastics seeming to be getting most of the fish which at best went perhaps 6 or 8lb . Also there were a few chopper tailor about as well, normaly around April is the best time for them on the beach, when they are on a bag limit is easy to get but they are only just over size with the odd bigger one. So overall i reckon a Jewy is on the cards and perhaps some tailor thrown in :)

Edited by Macnaz

Hi Frame

Umm just got back from up that way last week. I was at Harrington-Crowdy Head which is virtualy the same place, i cant talk for the beach itself but i seen quite a few school caught of the beach end of the Harrington Breakwall. They were getting them early to mid morning on Live herring as well as soft plastics.Soft plastics seeming to be getting most of the fish which at best went perhaps 6 or 8lb . Also there were a few chopper tailor about as well, normaly around April is the best time for them on the beach, when they are on a bag limit is easy to get but they are only just over size with the odd bigger one. So overall i reckon a Jewy is on the cards and perhaps some tailor thrown in :)

cheers for the info mate

any ideas on where we would pickup some live herring??

i will also be throwing out the taylor i catch as big live baits :)

i want a big jew :1fishing1:

If u wanna run into crowdy and harrington b4 u go out u can get herring in front of the cleaning table on the breakwall or around at the boat harbour at Crowdy.Just fish the same way as you would for yellowtail with tiny hooks or a bait jig with plenty of really fine burley such as bread mashed to make a milky film in the water. All the backwaters have plenty of mullet( around the Harrington Waters Estate marina area has shyte loads schooling along the sides ) if u could be bothered float fishing for bigger ones or trapping poddies. Tailor for jew will do the job but they are pretty wimpy and dont live that long ,especialy on the beach.....1 good mullet will swim around all night trying to find a jew for ya :) Another option if you and your mates are any good at catching beach worms , you can use them and they will score a Jewie bigtime ...you will need however have to put 4 or so on a 6/0 hook to make an appetising bait, it will be just a ball of wiggling worms that doesnt look real natural but it will getya a good schooly if one is around .

Edited by Macnaz

Hodgy mentioned here for some info on catching mullet... remember u may only need a couple for a night so the effort can be worth it . Plus there was a new trick i was wasnt aware of that can be utilized to speed up and increase your catch rate.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=53172&st=0&p=385527&hl=mullet&fromsearch=1entry385527

Edited by Macnaz