Hi end jigging outfits

GregL

G'day guys

I'm after a couple of hi end jigging outfits to chase doggies on for a trip later in the year.

I would like to fish overhead outfits as I find the lighter ones so nice to use all day compared to my spin outfits.

These outfits need to stop big dogs. Reading the reports of Diamond Islet from the charter it's full of unstoppables and guys are getting smashed on 100-130lb gear.

Whats at the top of the list of suitable outfits?

Greg

JM PE8 reel

JM 500gm Powerspell

you could jig up whales using a outfit like this

there are videos of pony (JM) catching 20kg doggies on the 100gm powerspell so a 500gm should give you a pretty good chance at a monster

not sure if its up to hi end requirements tho

you could always switch the reel to a Blue Heaven that would sure put a dent in your bank account

Sweet guys

The JM 3 Kings M and L with matching reels look the goods so far. Pretty reasonable prce wise conpared to spin gear as well.

The Powerspells are a run out model, some great prices out there for them if anyones interested. The 3 Kings are the replacement model...

Valley Hill Exploder Series Y Mogi Special SPII Rod.

Still reserching the MC works models out...

Reel wise.

The new Saltiga 2 speed leaver drag, anyone rate /played with one yet?

keep the recomendations coming, so much gear I have never really looked at before and don't have that much idea on compared to spin gear.

G

I can highly recommend the Vally Hill Y.Mogi Special II, i have this rod in the spin version and it is a very nice rod when loaded up, can fish PE10 braid and jig up to 700gram jigs, most importantly for a rod of such strength it is not a broom stick you could jig as light as 250 even 200grams (lightest jigs i have used was 250). I have mine matched to a Stella 20000 and fish PE8, skull drag 25kg plus WA Samson fish very easily. Below is a vedio of Mogi him self battling a monster bluefin using this rod and a stella 20000.

i couldnt help myself and i picked up a new JM three kings 200gm last night

whilst instore i had a look at the JM amberjack sniper which is one of JM's new rods

looks like a great rod similar looks to the three kings just a little shorter and stockier

the 45B looks the goods PE5-10 jigs from 300-600gm max lift of 37kg doggies wouldn't stand a chance

yep you can get these rods in Australia

Where can you get mc works in australia?

I've ordered them directly from Japan. The only problem is you must check regularly for stock.

Plus they rarely make overheads unless you can get custom order. Again hard unless you have contact or a japanese resident. They take 6 months to make and thats not even a promise

I'm very interested to know where in australia. I'm very keen on a few more rods but i want custom and if there is a contact here who can help, i'll throw cash at them.

Greg

I have a 200g JM three kings special matched up to a JM powerspell PE4 reel. Awesome set up.

The rod is rated to 26 kg and quite parabolic in its action. When you jig with for the first time it feels a bit soft when compared to the broomsticks I am used to jigging with. But after the second or third drop it feels just about perfect. The parabolic action lets the rod easily handle 20KG of drag and its strange watching the rod bend all the way to the reel seat when you have a decent fish on but no matter how much sick you give it, the rod feels like it has a whole lot more to give.

The reel is really small but holds heaps of braid - I have almost 50 color changes of YGK 50lb braid on it. AND it can pump out a maximum of 25 KG drag - which is really smooth and linear all they way up there. The reel has a 4:1 ratio which seems a bit slow but when you are cranking a 350g jig up from 250M you will really appreciate the lower ratio.

The whole set up is very light and only weighs 842grams. You'll be able to jig all day with it and not get tired from holding it.

I actually prefer this set up to my mega expensive custom spiral wrapped double helix GUSA 24KG rod / Trinidad TN40N combo I have. I cant jig all day with this but I can with the JM.

Evets

Jigging master reel pe8 and Jigging master rod , Big silver jigs are the go, before knife jigs were around 2 large nat nats joined with a split ring , or 2 200 gram silver raiders joined was deadley combo at wreck ,cato , fredderick , Kenn reefs. even when trolling out if guys hookup and your in the middle of nowhere drop a jig :thumbup: . problem years ago was gear as stellas were not around neither were high end rods . Best trolling lure is the yozuri bonito 10and 3/4 inch in Blue run long . Live baits trevally 3-4 kg at night anchored on the big boat.

Cheers Dogtooth....... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

Jigging master reel pe8 and Jigging master rod , Big silver jigs are the go, before knife jigs were around 2 large nat nats joined with a split ring , or 2 200 gram silver raiders joined was deadley combo at wreck ,cato , fredderick , Kenn reefs. even when trolling out if guys hookup and your in the middle of nowhere drop a jig :thumbup: . problem years ago was gear as stellas were not around neither were high end rods . Best trolling lure is the yozuri bonito 10and 3/4 inch in Blue run long . Live baits trevally 3-4 kg at night anchored on the big boat.

Cheers Dogtooth....... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

Hey DT

The good old Nat Nat's! they use to be my fav for yellowfin and albacores once you got them up cubing.

Cool idea re the jointed version.

What I have done so far.

Ok I have gone the JM 3 kings H and a L with matching reels. Ordered today so next week delivery :yahoo:

This should give me good options with my Smiths WRC Mariana 44 300 to cover all jig weights in overhead.

I have also a couple of Fishermans in threadline coming in , a Monster 2L and a Pascal Short 5121. These were ordered Christmas time as my Christmas prezzy for myself. "Merry Christmas Greg" LOL. They have just been finished and leaving Japan today. These are rated to 700gm jigs and I find my other fishermans nice and easy to fish with and not punishing on the body at all. Thats the reason I went with these babies. Some reason I like to try keep with the same brands, looks nice but it will be nice to try something differnt re the JM's.

Well thanks all for your input and it has helped alot, specially with a brand I have never seen before!

With the feedback I have recieved on JM product I cant go wrong really.

Greg

Hi Greg ,

JM rod and reel , nice :thumbup: But what about JM pr bobbin , JM jigging hooks as there stainless and dont rust , JM jigs totally awesome , JM jig bag , JM gimbal to match the rod and reel . They make some great gear :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Cheers Dogtooth .... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

Hi Greg ,

JM rod and reel , nice :thumbup: But what about JM pr bobbin , JM jigging hooks as there stainless and dont rust , JM jigs totally awesome , JM jig bag , JM gimbal to match the rod and reel . They make some great gear :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Cheers Dogtooth .... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

Yeah DT I went a nice yellow JM gimbal, I'll try one first as gimbals are a very personal thing in comfort.

FG knots for me all the way, no need for bobin!

NOt to sure on non rusting hooks, hate to be smoked and know that the hook won't rust out in the near future....

The rest of the gear like jigs and stuff, hope to hit overseas later this year on a work trip, fingers crossed I get a japan stopover! :biggrin2:

New gear to play with shortly, so exciting! It's been ages for me for new cool stuff!

Greg