Winter Fishing

newbie Al

This winter will be my first winter of serious winter fishing.

I will be land based and was wondering if any of you had any tips on bait and also what type of fish I should be targeting.

Ive googled the topic but not much available.

Thanks

Al

This winter will be my first winter of serious winter fishing.

I will be land based and was wondering if any of you had any tips on bait and also what type of fish I should be targeting.

Ive googled the topic but not much available.

Thanks

Al

big sambos mate their already showing up

If you like the taste of leatherjacket then try Taylors Point wharf with peeled prawns and you will get a good feed. also lots of squid, snapper, Blackfish and occies around there.

Love leather jackets but not sure how to rig up for them as all they seem to do is pick at my bait.

Any suggestions?

I just use a very simple rig with a size 1 ball sinker and size 1 baitholder hook. It works. I usually get 4-5 jackets every hour there. Just fish off the public wharf and your all good. Peeled prawns work a treat! A couple of times that i have fished here, there have been tailor and salmon schools busting up bait right next to the wharf. They are bloody big. One of them that i saw i would estimate at around 90 cm!! they take halco twisty jigs and other metals. Give it a go!

Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Yes that is true, i have seen them busting up at this wharf at 11:30 (midday). The early morning gives you the best chance when on a boat but when on shore they will be arounfd during the day too.

Tom