Where can I find Poddy Mullet?

Robofish

Hi Raiders,

I recently bought a fishtrap - my home made effort was not that successful and want to use it to catch poddy mullet - I tried it the other weekend by the creek entrance at Patonga in around 1.5m of water and baited it with bread but after an hour it was untouched. Am I doing it right/am I in the right location or are there better places to try in the area?

Dave

I use a clear telescopic type trap,

When I load it up I put a bit of sand inside it to give it a natural look and weigh it down.

And when you bait it with bread try to mush the bread up as much as you can that way when you set the trap the bread disperses out of the trap creating a burley trail...

if it's not working and the poddies are there play around with your depth I have alot of success with shallow water see how you go with it...

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Raiders,

I recently bought a fishtrap - my home made effort was not that successful and want to use it to catch poddy mullet - I tried it the other weekend by the creek entrance at Patonga in around 1.5m of water and baited it with bread but after an hour it was untouched. Am I doing it right/am I in the right location or are there better places to try in the area?

Dave

Hey Dave,

First of all is that you holding that massive Wells catfish in ur avatar?! always wanted to catch one!

Mate i usu one of those see through cylinder bait traps and put heaps of small peices of bread and dough in there with NO oil.

On the shallower side of the oyster leases to the left of the rail bridge should produce some poddy mullet. If im in hawkesbury thats where i catch them. I would imagine there would be much more if you went further up that way but im much to lazy as i mostly use yakkas squid and choppers as live bait.

Get a bread/burley trail happening aswell to get the mullet hungry.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Stan

Hey Dave,

First of all is that you holding that massive Wells catfish in ur avatar?! always wanted to catch one!

Mate i usu one of those see through cylinder bait traps and put heaps of small peices of bread and dough in there with NO oil.

On the shallower side of the oyster leases to the left of the rail bridge should produce some poddy mullet. If im in hawkesbury thats where i catch them. I would imagine there would be much more if you went further up that way but im much to lazy as i mostly use yakkas squid and choppers as live bait.

Get a bread/burley trail happening aswell to get the mullet hungry.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Stan

Hey Stan,

Yes it is a Wels Catfish mate, I caught it on the river Ebro in Spain and it really did pull my string! Thanks for the advice on the poddies, I will give it a try - I usually fish bonito strips or yakkas when bottom bashing but fancied trying a poddy for bigger flatties

Hey Stan,

Yes it is a Wels Catfish mate, I caught it on the river Ebro in Spain and it really did pull my string! Thanks for the advice on the poddies, I will give it a try - I usually fish bonito strips or yakkas when bottom bashing but fancied trying a poddy for bigger flatties

Thats awesome mate, i always wanted to fish the Ebro in spain or other rivers in germany for them. I heard at specific periods of the year there are people in numbers fishing for them?

Do you live bait for them or dead baits? i guess it wouldnt matter with them sensitive whiskers.

The one in your pic is huge! it looks as big as the one on river monsters!

Well done on the catch.

You can also find Poddy Mullet in the shallows on any of the beaches around the hawkesbury e.g. the one opposite the rail bridge (as if you were heading out, past dangar island, but instead of veering right, go straight)

These mullet are harder to catch though, maybe because the water is too clear/shallow? but if you burley hard with bread crumbs, little peices of bread and dough you should get them into a bit of deeper water where they are more easily trapped.

Good luck

Thats awesome mate, i always wanted to fish the Ebro in spain or other rivers in germany for them. I heard at specific periods of the year there are people in numbers fishing for them?

Do you live bait for them or dead baits? i guess it wouldnt matter with them sensitive whiskers.

The one in your pic is huge! it looks as big as the one on river monsters!

Well done on the catch.

You can also find Poddy Mullet in the shallows on any of the beaches around the hawkesbury e.g. the one opposite the rail bridge (as if you were heading out, past dangar island, but instead of veering right, go straight)

These mullet are harder to catch though, maybe because the water is too clear/shallow? but if you burley hard with bread crumbs, little peices of bread and dough you should get them into a bit of deeper water where they are more easily trapped.

Good luck

Cheers for that. The Wels in Spain can be caught all year round but the bigger fellas are generally caught Sept to Nov. The baits we caught them all on were strings of 30mm fishmeal pellets on 100lb kevlar traces - pretty hardcore fishing when you are trying to skulldrag them out of the snags they live in!

Dave

Cheers for that. The Wels in Spain can be caught all year round but the bigger fellas are generally caught Sept to Nov. The baits we caught them all on were strings of 30mm fishmeal pellets on 100lb kevlar traces - pretty hardcore fishing when you are trying to skulldrag them out of the snags they live in!

Dave

Oh yeah same bait rig as i seen on the show. They have apparently attacked people on occasions :wacko:

did you go to spain specifically to target them?

Oh yeah same bait rig as i seen on the show. They have apparently attacked people on occasions :wacko:

did you go to spain specifically to target them?

Yes I have been a few times but that was when I lived in the UK - its a bit far from here! Great boys trip :beersmile: and landed real lumps every time we went.

inside patonga creek is the go

my young fella was catching dozens in the shallows 1-2 foot deep

dont think 1.5 mts is very tempting for a small baitfish

try shallows

oh and he was just using a 2 litre juice bottle with a hole in the top/side then weighted with some rocks

Edited by mtcolah

inside patonga creek is the go

my young fella was catching dozens in the shallows 1-2 foot deep

dont think 1.5 mts is very tempting for a small baitfish

try shallows

oh and he was just using a 2 litre juice bottle with a hole in the top/side then weighted with some rocks

cheers

Dave