MAX HP ,MAX WIEGHT

Frantic

yeah wasnt sure ,would think the manufacturers would underrate them a fair bit , so if i add say 50kg to the transom

would it be like a extra livebait tank wouldnt it :biggrin2:

Its not just about weight. There is alot more to consider. I wouldnt reccommend going too far over what the manufacturer has suggested as a maximum. It affects insurance, if your involved in an acco maritime will bend you over, and think about having a big 50hp bolted to the back transom of a tinny rated to 30hp max, when the boat pounds into a wave at a high speed the weight of that 50 will want to continue going forward while the boats going to want to slow, This can crack your transom and cause all sorts of drama.

If there was no issues i would have put a 40 onto the back of my 3.95 tinny ages ago instead of the maximum 25 :beersmile:

Musty

Guest Aussie007

my boat is a 1971 model quintrex its had the max HP on it from day 1 with max HP ratings u can upgrade some motors as manufacturers use the same model 25HP-30HP just different size carbies but adding an extra 50kg to the transom is asking for trouble if your going from a 50hp to a 150hp 50kg is a lot of weight if your transom is built to 75kg and u put an extra 50kg on it u will without a doubt run into problems

oh im not going to go over the manufacturers weight rating just up to it ,im going from approx 125 kg motor to maybe 170kg which its rated too. i was more putting the question too ppl who have gone from a 2 st carbie to 4 stroke.

Guest Aussie007

oh ok if your within the manufacturers transom weight limits u will be fine i have only used 2 strokes so far

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if you can put a 2006 Yamaha 50hp 2 stroke motor on an aluminum boat if its plate rating is 40hp 110kg. I believe that this motor only weighs approx. 86kg which is well under the recommended rate. Do you think that the transom would be able to handle it? Would i be able to get rego? I don't think i will be getting insurance for the boat/motor so thats not an issue. Does any one know if it would be legal to fit this motor?

Guest Aussie007

Does anyone know if you can put a 2006 Yamaha 50hp 2 stroke motor on an aluminum boat if its plate rating is 40hp 110kg. I believe that this motor only weighs approx. 86kg which is well under the recommended rate. Do you think that the transom would be able to handle it? Would i be able to get rego? I don't think i will be getting insurance for the boat/motor so thats not an issue. Does any one know if it would be legal to fit this motor?

it wont pass rego thats like sticking a V12 engine in a VW beetle